Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Blade Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Annabelle: Creation (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida
Default The Official Elemental Designs Subwoofers Thread

Please discuss all models of your Elemental Designs subwoofers in this thread. You can include pictures, reviews, or any other comments regarding your subwoofer. Manufacturerís Website

Initial reactions and review:

Quote:
Oh my god. I canít believe what Iíve heard. Iím second guessing my hearing and my gut. I think listening to the sub for extended periods of time is bad for you! Itís unbelievable the output and clarity of the A2-300. Itís extremely musical and hard hitting. I havenít even tried a movie yet and still I can safely say this sub is more than you can expect for a sub, especially for the price. Iíve tried multiple songs from rap to classic music. AMAZING. You might want to reinforce your walls if you like to crank it. OOHHH! Iím so excited!!!!! Movies here I come Ö To be continued...

...Right now. I watched "The Bank Job" in DTS HD MA 7.1 and can say that I felt like I was in a local theater with the A2-300's punch. I haven't even got to my test movies (Jurrasic Park, Twister, Black Hawk Down) and I'm still being impressed. I'll be back tomorrow to continue on....

Yesterday, I was busy so I didn't get to watch too many movies. Actually, only one. I watched XXX on Blu-ray and the PCM 5.1 soundtrack is amazing. Not only is the 5.0 amazing, the .1 is even more so. Explosions felt and sounded like explosions. I felt like I was in a my local movie theater. I have my A2-300 in the back left corner of my room under a table by my closet. The only thing that I could tell vibrates is my closet door, but only if it is closed too much. Anyways, the bass it puts out fills the room, and does a very good job at hiding its position. My other subs just didn't quite fill the whole room with satisfying results as far as deeper bass goes. The only thing that I could complain about is my center speaker not always producing clear voices during movies. (sometimes they are muffled and I'm sure there is a lot better) Hopefully today, I can get the chance to watch Jurassic Park and Twister...

I watched a bit of Jurrasic Park and all of The Incredibles yesterday and I'm now even more positive this sub's performance is just flooring. The Incredibles has the lowest frequencies and some of the best animated action sequences audio-wise there are. It really is fantastic how the sub's performance in general is. I honestly have no complaints. I would recommend this sub to anyone who's looking for real entertainment at an affordable price. A+!
New Reviews!

Tilapiah6 says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilapiah6 View Post
Starting from the beginning, I first plugged it in, using my sub cable from monoprice.com and a Y adapter that I picked up for 8 bucks at Best Buy. I immediately did an auto setup using the microphone that came with the RX-V663, and then, using a few bass heavy tracks, fine tuned it.

My first reaction in listening to music was just how overwhelming the bass is. It literally consumed my entire living room with the smoothest bass you could imagine. I listened to a few rap tracks (Lil Wayne, Pastor Troy), a few dubstep tracks (from Distance - Repercussions) and all of them sounded as perfect as I could have imagined. Now moving on, I tried out a series of classic rock songs, ranging from Heart - Crazy On You, to Eagles - Freebird, and all of them, when utilizing the lows as little as they do, sounded as though the lows were just a perfect extension of the front sound stage. It was probably the best quality of sound I've ever heard from those old tracks.

Next I put in The Dark Knight, as it's well known just how bass heavy the opening scene is. The soundtrack to it made the entire house shake! Gunshots had a nice thump to them, but not so much that it didn't sound realistic. Also, it's worth mentioning that the entire sound stage was crystal clear, not at all cluttered by too much of the low frequencies that were being pumped out. I turned it off as the first scene ended to give my ears a break.

For the next big test, I threw in Nine Inch Nails: Beside You In Time (my favorite concert Blu-ray). What struck me when listening to the tracks I selected was how well the more ambient lows were reproduced, especially in songs like Right Where It Belongs and Hurt. On other tracks where the all of the speakers received a workout, I actually had to turn the receiver's volume down considerably because I was scared the neighbors would call the cops. I know it's a used up phrase, but it really did sound like I was right in the middle of the concert.

Lastly, just now, I put in The Matrix Reloaded. The opening scene with Trinity kicking ass was a real treat! The punches provided that same realistic but not overwhelming THUMP that I'd previously experienced with the gunshots in The Dark Knight. Moving right along, when she falls down the side of the building in slow motion, the sounds are very intense and emphasized to (I guess) add emotional impact and 'awe'. The best part of that scene is when Trinity and then the Agent pan by the camera is ultra-slow motion. The bass gradually picked up as they came near, ROARED as they passed by, and then faded away once more.

It's quite apparent that I'm now going to have to watch ALL of my movies over again to listen to them for the first time with class A bass!

In closing, this is my first semi-high end subwoofer. Thus far, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Just be sure to LIFT WITH YOUR LEGS, NOT WITH YOUR BACK, or you'll be in a world of hurt. Also, make sure you do a proper calibration, setting the frequency to 120hz on the sub and 80hz on the receiver as a starting point, and then gradually fine tuning the power level on both the sub and the receiver.

A++++! Thank you Elemental Designs! And thank you Crackinhedz for originally recommending it to me!

Edit: And thanks to all of you who have posted your thoughts and views on it here in this thread. Without your helpful and sometimes funny commentary, I don't think I would have made it through the 45 days it took to get this monster. Happy listening!

Audiophile_At_Birth says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile_At_Birth View Post
So those questioning the A2-300...it performs, and I would go as far as saying that it out performs the Klipsch Sub-12 which I got a chance to listen too over the weekend and runs you a cool $550. It was worth the wait and for the price, one of the best subs I have ever heard.

It hits hard in my 13X12X10 room. It's at about 10 o'clock on the gain...roughly about 1/4 and it hits hard and when it needs too. It's not boomy at all, and stuff shakes in my room which is starting to get annoying. The first thing I listened too was the THX optimizer to get the crossover right. It also happened to be Star Wars Episode III. Only watched the opening drop down scene/battle and the huge star carrier or what ever it was produced the most deep bass I have ever heard in my room-at 10-o'clock gain!!! It was intense and a whole new experience to my movie viewing. That was only Sunday.

Watching the Daytona 500 brought out bass from the wind turbulence effect from the cars passing by the camera/recording unit that I had never heard. Hip Hop and rap...eh I blame my sister for this but she wanted to see what it sounded like. It was everything you could imagine from in a deep bass line.

This morning while getting ready for school I threw on some All That Remains - Overcome (Metal). Although I didn't have a long listening experience, the double bass drum came through clear...if not just a tad muddy. Coming home from school, I finally got to demo my system to my friend who was in town. I was still dialing in the gain at this point. I threw on a new concert favorite - Blue Man Group. The opening two songs are a really good way to test a system. Decent Dynamic range, a percussion mix that will put a strict demand on any speaker to reproduce clean tight sound one would expect from a percussion line. Next we threw on the Eagles Farewell tour 1: Live from Melbourne. The Kick drum was even more defined and tighter. It was almost to much and had to turn the gain down from around 11 o'clock down to about 10. I finally got it dialed in a brought the missing link to my system that had escaped me for such a long time. Even when I had my old sub with the current speakers, it still doesn't compare. I always felt something was missing. After the eagles concert, I threw on Avenged Sevenfold Live in Long Beach, CA. Now that was a new experience all in my self. Onstage explosions caught even me off gaurd. I couldn't even begin to think what was running though my friends mind as they are only used to a sloppy HTiB at best. The Double bass was intense and I could for once tell the difference in the different bass drums used on stage. Nice experience. After that...oh yeah...transformers. All I can say...Helicopters would murder my old sub. I finally heard LFE sounds from the F-22's taking off that I had never heard before. When the shockwave slams the glass in the control center and shatters it in the first attack (anyone know what I am talking about?) I always thought something was missing. Now I know what...the LFE that my old sub just couldn't bring out at all. I heard bass in that movie that I had never heard before!!! No joke. I am just amazed at it. Lastly we turned the NASCAR IMAX experience. And wow!!! My friend doesn't even enjoy nascar and thinks its dumb. And when the opening IMAX logo rolled and demos your system just right there, they were amazed. Flash forward to the fly over scene of some F-16's...IMAX LFE = BASS that sounded like it REALLY WAS coming from F-16s flying over. I've been to a race with a fly over (Last years Pepsi 400 in Daytona) with F-18s and I was amazed at the reproduction of the sound. I was so afraid stuff was about to start falling off shelfs/dresser tops ect. I could feel the bass rumble in the floor, my bed, and most deff hear it shake stuff. Even felt the port blow air and move my jeans a little. Pretty sweet. I will continue to add to this review as I come across more material and can listen at a longer time. All I can say it wow. ED really delivered and the build qaulity in itself is better than the Klipsch, Polk, Boston Acostics subs I have heard and handled. It's solid and built like a beast.

Rock On Elemental Designs!

Carlsberg19 says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsberg19 View Post
Well i received my A2-300 today! ...It really was larger than i thought it would be, dominates my little home theatre room lol, but i dont mind, if the lights are off and your wathching a movie your not gonna see it anyway. Took me a little time to get the settings right. i.e. dead zones in the room, had to move the sub here and there till i got it right, then came the LEVEL,Phase, and crossover settings. I put the LEVEL at 1 o clock, Phase at 11 o clock, and crossover all the way to the right - this works out just fine

The first song i introduced the A2-300 to was jermaine stewarts 1986 classic "We dont have to take our clothes off" which was like hearing the song all new again! really tight punchy bass, not at all boomy. Then after i got the level,phase settings etc all configured i played the bass heavy and my god it never sounded better "hallelujah - happy mondays" - just perfect.

Then i popped in Transformers and i was going to watch the whole movie but i had to get ready for work so i just went to certain scenes, what can i say it just sound amazing, like being at the cinema type bass, cannot compliment it enough. I am going to rewatch all of my BD's in time just cus i love this sub so much.

As for the staff at ED, they were extremely helpfull, i can safely say the best customer service i ever recieved, whether i had to contact them using the instant chat service or call them up they were always willing to help me out. Thanks guys! and thanks for one heck of a great subwoofer!
Smitty4ut says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty4ut View Post
Ok, I got my new surrounds & installed them. Once they were in I adjusted the phase on the sub until I was getting the most base. I backed both of my subs down to around 11:00 an ran Audyssey. I think this is where people run into trouble with Audyssey. They have there subs too hot when they run the setup. After Audyessy was done, I went in and change my fronts from large to small (recommend by Denon). Did some listening and I still think that Audyssey sets the bass a little too low. I changed the sub settings on Audyssey from -8db to -3db. I also ended up adjusting both subs to around 1:00 on their gain dials. I was worried at first about how the two different subs would work together. I was worrying for nothing. They sound awesome together. The bass in my room is so much more solid than before, and boy oh boy does it get deep. The Iron Man cave scene is incredible, I thought it was good before, but now I see why people recommend using this scene. I just got Shooter on Blu and watched it last night. When they are blowing stuff up around the house in VA, I could feel my pants legs move.

I don't listed to a lot of high end music. I stream most of my music collection from my MAC to my PS3 with MediaLink from Nullriver. So far once again I am extremely pleased. I think the A2-300 is very musical in my room. It is not just thumping and overpowering everything else on music. Which I consider to be a good thing, it is blending in just beautifully. When a song has great bass, you get great bass. When a song is delicate, it is delicate. It is definitely not a one note base box that just thumps.

The A2-300 was one of the final pieces in making my system just awesome. People can't believe what they are hearing when they come over. Like I said before, my wife commented that movies sound better at home than at the theater. I have update dated the pics in my Home Theater Gallery. It also has pics of my A2-300.

I just want to say thanks to Brett an Alex @ ED, and everyone on this thread.

The A2-300 just flat our rocks. I could not be any happier with my purchase. I would recommend this sub whole heartedly. I am so stoked. I have to go back and go back and watch/listen to everything I have again. I am going to be busy for a while.

Thanks again.
Doctorsteve says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsteve View Post
At long last, after weeks of being restrained, new life was breathed into my Elemental Designs A2-300 Subwoofer today.

The downstairs neighbors have left for two weeks, and it was finally time to see what this "Big Bad Woof" could do. The poor thing has had her level dialed down to the 9 o'clock position since I got 'er three weeks ago, so my first step was to turn the level up to the 1 o'clock position...

The first taste test was the oft-mentioned Ironhide Flip scene in Transformers, which rumbled in a way it never had before. Each concussion wave slapped the bottom of my bare feet in an unbelievable and invisible way (one was on the floor, one perched on the coffee table). In fact, I re-racked the scene three times to keep experiencing that auralgasm again and again. Next, 'rewinding' to the the opening Pavelow attack scene, and all I can say is "Ooooooo".

I went back to the Ironhide flip and dialed the sub down to the 12 o'clock position. Upon re-running the scene, the bass was still nice and fat but without the noticeable, almost distorted-sounding 'rumble' previously noticed. So it seems 1 o'clock is the starting point to get rumble for rumble's sake. Before that - the thump is clean and thick.

Next in line 'Deckard fires at Zora' - in Blade Runner, The Dark Knight: 'Hospital Explodes' as well as the 'Ballistics Test' scene, and The Matrix: 'Morpheus Rescue'; none of them disappointed. Three words say it all - Bass Goes Boom. Sweet.

On the music end of things, the Bjork SACD 'Vespertine' was really enhanced by being able to turn up the level beyond the lowly 9 o'clock position. She loves the low tones, so many tracks on this disc reached depths of richness I've never squeezed out before. The long-forgotten group Deep Forest's second disc Boheme was next on the menu, and track 7 - 'Deep Folk Song' shakes the floor with a clap/stomp that is explosive and satisfying.

Although I now have my entire library of Blu's, Concert DVDs, and CDs to revisit, it will be a fantastic two weeks to be sure. This sub has definitely added, not only another layer, but a depth and richness that is worth the wait and every single Gol-danged penny. Doubters, consider yourself smited - because this subwoofer just Whooped your fanny.

As I write this, I'm listening to Common's latest outing called 'Universal Mind Control'. The disc is very Bass-heavy, but in a delicately-balanced good way and is absolutely set free by waking up the A2-300 out of it's neighbor-friendly doldrums. Make no mistake - even at low levels this Woof is clean and pretty. But given half a chance - this Sub will make you (and your media) bounce like a Baywatch slo-mo... Yeah, you know what I'm talkin' about.

Tip of the hat to all the folks at Blu-ray.com that sang the praises of this sub - it is a worthy purchase indeed. A big round of applause to the crew at Elemental Designs... not only are you guys the bomb - but you make the bomb go 'BOOM'... and it's Niiiiiice! I even got a call from eD as I was setting it up to make sure everything was alright with my new baby, so thumbs up on the service, too. Lastly, I have to say it's nice to support a 'Made in the U.S.A.' product and get high-quality stuff at a reasonable price.

Could... NOT... be... HAPPIER with this purchase!

Well, I COULD - but that would involve my downstairs neighbors never coming back...

Cheers,

Doc
SellmeyourDVD says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellmeyourDVD View Post
So i've had my sub for probably around 2-3 weeks now and words can't describe how wonderful it is. The first scene that I was able to watch with it made me look like this x 10 . I've now watched transformers about 10 times and i've had problems trying to watch other movies due to time constraints and the pure fact that transformers was MADE for this sub. If anyone is afraid of the price tag for this sub and they're on the fence about it, they should NOT worry at all. I feel the sub is just right for me (this is the first home theater system i've ever experienced) and i've had a few friends check it out and they've all had the same smile on their face that I had when I first heard the thunderous roar come out of the sub. Even when I play video games I can hear a GIGANTIC difference. I now find myself trying to hit stick every oppurtunity I get because I love the low rumble the sub produces when you give someone that gut wrenching hit in madden. Even things like grenades in Halo 3 sound amazing (along with the gravity hammer, I mean holly crap, even the people in my party online could hear me swinging that thing). For the price, I feel like you can't get anything better than this sub. Is that opinino biased? Yes very, since i've never even heard another sub that is similar in comparision, but I feel you'd be hard pressed to find ANYTHING that is equivilant in price and most of all, performance. If you're looking for that "umph" that your setup may be missing look no further, you've found what you've been looking for

Thinking of a dual or multiple subwoofer setup? Here's what progers13 had to say about his newly acquired second A2-300 in his setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers13 View Post
The short version is - I'm LOVING it!!! Balance was a bit of an issue initially (had some null spots) but I got that settled with the phase knob. Now the bass is just cleaner and harder hitting than I could have imagined. I expected the response to be fuller and more even across the room, which it is. The single A2-300 I had before did a great job of getting low and hitting hard. But the two of them together are putting out an additional 5 dbs than either one by itself. I don't know what causes this (have been reading through Big Daddy's post looking for an explanation). But I feel the hits harder, I hear the bass louder with no distortion, minimal rattling of items in the room. Basically, it just sounds RIGHT. It blends in and sounds like it should. It is a noticeable stepup from a single sub setup. Having experienced it now, I would recommend a dual setup to anyone who has the room to accomodate. I don't think there's any going back now.
How about that Poly-fill? Is that still a good idea for the A2-300? A fellow member thinks so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdominguez View Post
Well, I can now officially give the a2-300 my full endorsement! It took a while to get it dialed in for my application, but Iíve finally got it right.

As is customary, here are some pics, and yes; I have skidooshedÖ.

(If these pics don't work, check out HT Gallery)

The only problem I had was with 1 particular movie: The Incredible Hulk. All other movies sound unbelievable. The sound gun scene in the Hulk (54:46 to 54:56 in the movie) was causing very audible driver excursion noise through the port. I didnít think it was distortion, just noise from the driver moving back and forth. After several conversations with Alex from eD, he seemed to believe I was just pushing the sub too hard. I really found that hard to believe because my listening levels were not that loud. Below are my settings:

- Onkyo 705 w/Outlaw 7125 multi-channel amp: sound occurred anywhere between -18db to -25db

- Subwoofer level: 0db

- Double Bass off

- Audyssey off

- Plate Amp: 1 oíclock

At this point I was honestly considering returning it or putting it up for sale in order to get a more powerful sub. Yes, itís only one movie, but I hate having that feeling like the sub was going to blow on certain loud sequences and that I had to always be careful not to turn it up to loud. Yes, I could corner load my sub to pick up 5-6 ďfreeĒ db so that I could dial back the gain on the plate amp, but I liked having it near the center of the room. Putting it near the center allowed me to keep the plate amp level up and in turn pressurized the room more so that you could really ďfeelĒ the sub. Thatís the best part of this sub!

So, the last resort after talking with Audiophile, Big Daddy, and Progers was to fill the sub with Polyfil. Here are the materials I used:

- 1 pound loose Polyfil (Walmart: $3)

- 2 Nu-Foam 15x17x1in sheets (Flame retardant specific) (Joanns: $6 each)

I unscrewed the plate amp for the opening. I cut a whole in one of the Nu-Foam sheets for the magnet and placed the sheet over the driver to protect it from the loose polyfil. I then stuffed the loose polyfil into the remaining portion of the sub. I cut the other Nu-Foam sheets and ďboxedĒ in one side of the box (side with the plate amp) to keep the loose polyfil from being pushed out of the port AND to act as a shield between the amp and loose polyfil. Nu-Foam specifically states itís a flame retardant. This is probably not a concern because the polyfil likely meets guidelines as a flame retardant, but I just wanted to be safe.

The result? Noise is gone!!! Now only strongs puffs of air come out, no noise at all. Amazing. This proves that the a2-300 could be pushed at this level and even more without distortion! I have attached the zip file with two wav files in it for the before and after sounds of the driver through the port. Youíll be able to hear a big difference. I recorded this with my phone, so itís not the best quality, but it still gets the point across.

Supposedly the polyfil also has other benefits and is the reason why most people fill their subs with this stuff. Itís supposed to smooth out the response as well as provide lower end extension. The only difference I could detect was a 1db or so drop in output. Audibly, I really couldnít tell. Perhaps if I used the right equipment, maybe.

Conclusion? Stuff your sub with Polyfil! Iím really surprised that more people arenít hearing this driver noise. As you can tell in the wav file, itís very apparent. If you want to see if your sub makes that noise for your application, put in the Hulk, turn it up, and listen in between 54:46 and 54:56 of the movie.

HulkSoundGunscene-before-afterpolyfil v2.zip
Official Queue Times thread

Estimated waiting time : 6-8 weeks
My recommended setup for Home Theater Virgins:

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or
HTIB: Polk 5.1 system and
Receiver: Non-Network Onkyo TX-SR608 or Onkyo HT-RC180 Network Receiver
Monoprice-For all your cable needs...

Personal Setup + Subwoofer

Last edited by Driver_King; 03-29-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

PICS:

That box was huge!

They had tons of packaging in there. There was no way that sub was going to get damaged.

That's the 12" woofer. All the black around it is the bottom. It is a huge subwoofer.

Comparing the A2-300 to one of my Onkyo HT-SR800 subwoofers.

Another pic comparing the size of the subs...

The two subs I was using before are standing on top of each other. Now I have to figure how much I'm going to sell them for. (Yes, I'm going to sell them. I might just sell the whole HTIB package with the extra sub. )
__________________________________________________ _______________

Other A2-300 pics:

Layd Dly

JasonR

MarcosG

Blushiz

eD Subwoofer 3rd Party Charts:

A2-300 @ 20 Hz:

A2-300 @ 25 Hz:

A2-300 @ 18 Hz:

A2-300 @ 16 Hz:

Quote:
For those who are trying to figure out these graphs ... all you need to do is look at the number in the upper left hand corner - for example, the A2-300's 20 Hz graph - 93.011 dB is the level delivered at 20 Hz - and when there are 2 numbers, look at the second, or lower one, for SPL delivered at that frequency.
Additional comments and recommendations:

Some members have complained about a lack of musicality and output. This has to do specifically with settings. I cannot stress enough how important proper settings are for this subwoofer especially. It can make the difference between a muddled, boomy subwoofer and a musical, tight, and loud subwoofer.

First of all, my post regarding subwoofer risers and the A2-300:

Quote:
Okay. So most of you may know that a few of us crazy people have been making subwoofer risers yada, yada, yada. So, I decided to make my own. I started off tonight with my DIY sub. I was very pleased with how much of a difference it made in tightening up the sound, even though it is a front firing subwoofer. Later, I moved to the A2-300. When I went to play some music from the 2 Fast 2 Furious soundtrack on CD, I was not believing my ears. The bass was actually became very pronounced and detailed. I was amazed at how much I was missing before with my subwoofers not on risers. Next, I moved to some Dark Knight. I want to try the Dark Knight on THX Cinema mode (bass is extremely cranked up) but played it on Direct to see what kind of differences I could hear at a lower volume. I could instantly tell that I was suffering from muddy sound and boominess from before and did not realize it had nothing to do with my subwoofers but how they were placed. The scene where Batman's vehicle smashes into the Car Garage is where I previously believed my subwoofers were bottoming out and were farting. The real issue was that they were not put on risers! After that, I decided to try on some bass heavy music with the THX Cinema mode on. The first song I played was noticeably cleaner and more detailed sounding. I could actually tell there was an instrument making the bass sound. Then I thought I would try some hip-hop music to see what a lot of bass would sound like that I know is "loud bass." I turned on Young Jeezy's Put On song at 0dB. Let's just say my ears are still pulsating from the bass. I've played that song over and over for friends who were "familiar" with it. I have never heard anything louder or clearer my whole life. Really, the bass was that overwhelming. I've measured my system at around 124dB with my SPL meter with even higher peaks with that song before. I'm pretty sure now the dB readings would be well over that. So, for around $11 for the carpet (MDF was scrap from my DIY subwoofer project), I made both risers. If you have any sense at all, you would consider making one for your subwoofer. Anyone who owns an A2-300, though, absolutely must have one. No excuses. None. Make one now.
Then we have a post I made regarding the settings and recommended things to do on your receiver, on your sub, and for your sub here:
Quote:
Here is what you need to do Joe:
  • Purchase a carpet pad or something to go beneath the subwoofer.
  • Build a subwoofer riser as instructed in the Building Subwoofer thread sticky
  • Try corner placement of the subwoofer.
  • Put the Audyssey setting on your receiver to 120hz and on your subwoofer all the way as well
  • Adjust the gain on your subwoofer to around 3/4.
  • Make sure the distance on Audyssey is correct for your subwoofer and adjust the volume as necessary.
  • Adjust the phase on your subwoofer and see what difference it makes in your seating position. I find that half way works best for me.
  • Try corner placement as well.
  • Tell us your results after everything is done.
If you are still disappointed with the results, tell me the issue after everything is done and I will recommend some more things. This is unlikely however. I found that after doing everything listed, you will releash the inner beast in your A2-300. Music comes alive with the crossover settings all the way up. Try leaving double-bass on your speakers to see how you like it as well. The maximum volume will be increased by around 10dB or more with the riser in some situations (like mine and Big Daddy's). The musicality should also significantly improve after everything mentioned has been done.
This applies for all subwoofers, for the most part anyways. If you have any questions, please feel free to post away.

For the new line of A2-300's with the new amps, people were having issues getting the sub to sound right while many were very displeased with the results they were getting. This is what you need to do to optimally set the new A2-300's with the new plate amps.:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink134 View Post
Yes I did I talked to someone over at ed and he told me that the old amps work different than the new ones. Basically the old amps gain are more sensitive compared to the new ones and that I would have to move my gain higher than the people who have the old style amps and I notice a big difference when I did that. I had to move my gain to 3 o clock to get that ump and thump I was looking for. My receiver is set the 3 or 4 db.
Thank you for that input. I will make sure to not tell people to try to limit the gain on the sub to 1 o' clock and to turn the crossover on the sub all the way up to 180hz instead.

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or

Last edited by Driver_King; 05-20-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

any pics yet?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:55 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

My A2-300's status is "In Paintroom"
Old 08-23-2008, 02:57 AM   #5
Suspended

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
My A2-300's status is "In Paintroom"
What's your set-up, Jason? I remember reading a bunch of you getting in that shiny new receiver, want to know what's connected to it!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

Fronts - Polk Monitor 50s
Center - Polk Monitor CS1
Surrounds - Polk Monitor 30s
Sub - ED A2-300
Receiver - Sony STR-DG920
BDP - Sony BDP-S300 (Probably upgrading around X-Mas to the BDP-S350)
TV - Sony KDL-40V2500
Cable - Charter HD-DVR
Old 08-23-2008, 03:08 AM   #7
Suspended

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
Fronts - Polk Monitor 50s
Center - Polk Monitor CS1
Surrounds - Polk Monitor 30s
Sub - ED A2-300
Receiver - Sony STR-DG920
BDP - Sony BDP-S300 (Probably upgrading around X-Mas to the BDP-S350)
TV - Sony KDL-40V2500
Cable - Charter HD-DVR
How do you like your 50s? I'm going to use those as my rears () - and do you have your 30s on stands or mounted on walls? If so, what stands?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

I love the 50s, for the price they cannot be beat. Sure there is better out there, work within your budget. I have the 30s on speaker stands.

Edit: Can't find the stands, got them at Best Buy a couple of years ago.

Last edited by JasonR; 08-23-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:14 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2669

Here you go...
Old 08-23-2008, 03:25 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

I have some pics. I'll post them tomorrow for sure if not by tonight.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:28 AM   #11

Aug 2007
Chicago

Just wait until you try a movie!!! This sub kicks ass...period! Best sub at it's price point in my opinion. It's an absolute STEAL at $315 shipped. It was a steal when it was $400. It can't be beat. I'll let you post your pics.
HT: Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR2 1080p LCD, PS3 - 60 GB, Yamaha RX-V663
Speakers: AV123 x-mtm's, x-cs
Sub: eD A2-300
Blu-Ray Discs: 178
Old 08-23-2008, 03:39 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Transformers went to the top of my queue just now.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

*Updated with pics*

Old 08-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

*Updated thoughts *

Old 08-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
Power Member

Jan 2008

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new love. How did you like the "jack-hammer scene" in "The Bank Job"??? It appears you have a lot of output from this sub I bet it won't be long before the upgrade itch kicks in for speakers now.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

It took me a while to notice that the sub was playing those frequencies. It blends so well with the rest of my system that it seemed like it wasn't there. I've actually been just enjoying the movies and have been drifting away into the movie. It's really amazing. It's what I've been missing. In fact, that's what I've been striving to attain with my system but it never seemed to cut it, until now. I'm wondering if it's possible to voice match a center channel with my two Technics speakers. That would be fantastic.

Last edited by Driver_King; 08-24-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:17 PM   #17
Special Member

Jun 2008
Gotham

This sub looks mental, this will be my next purchase for sure.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

*Updated thoughts, again*

Old 08-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

How long did it take to receive yours? I ordered mine on the 11th...
Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

I ordered mine on the 28th of last month and got mine on the 22nd of this month.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers