Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96

The Mule 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Jack Ryan: 5-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Scorpion King 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

Batman 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Ralph Breaks the Internet 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #441
Expert Member

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
The fact that there is zero info out of Dolby means they most likely were in the dark, just as Apple, Oppo and everyone else were in the dark. Dolby is in a tight spot. If they call out Sony, they risk even more damage to the DV standard and may potentially lose a partner. My guess is Sony is relying on their silence.
You have honestly convinced yourself that Dolby did not know about the approach being taken by Sony with their format and even though they had to certify and sign off on the displays?
Old 01-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #442
Expert Member

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

Well well well, just installed the tvOS 11.3 beta on my Apple TV 4K and looky here!

Thanks given by:
Dinos (01-24-2018), Lion (01-24-2018), netnothing (01-24-2018), Robert Zohn (01-24-2018), Staying Salty (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #443

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Well well well, just installed the tvOS 11.3 beta on my Apple TV 4K and looky here!

How can I install the beta on my apple tv? Also, will it just upgrade to the full version when the beta is finished, or do i have to manually upgrade going forward?
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 PM   #444

May 2007

I actually suspect that Dolby was in the loop as they really have the most to gain from the new profile. The more display devices that can support DV the better for them. They are trying to make DV an industry standard...to do that it needs to be wide-spread, not just a few vendors. More display support translates into more media availability which translates into more money from licenses.

Sony made some pretty serious mistakes (not testing the external devices and poor communications the standout ones to me), but they didn't have as much to gain in all of this as Dolby...follow the money...
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 PM   #445
Expert Member

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdkid717 View Post
How can I install the beta on my apple tv? Also, will it just upgrade to the full version when the beta is finished, or do i have to manually upgrade going forward?
You need an Apple Developer account to install the profile in order to download the developer beta.

Hopefully they bring the beta to the public soon, which you can opt into (if you want) by enabling it under Settings > System > Software Updates then enabling "Get Beta Updates".
Old 01-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #446

Nov 2015

Quote:
You need an Apple Developer account to install the profile in order to download the developer beta.

Hopefully they bring the beta to the public soon, which you can opt into (if you want) by enabling it under Settings > System > Software Updates then enabling "Get Beta Updates".
Awesome! Thanks for posting. Usually the public beta isn't far behind.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #447
Expert Member

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
I actually suspect that Dolby was in the loop as they really have the most to gain from the new profile. The more display devices that can support DV the better for them. They are trying to make DV an industry standard...to do that it needs to be wide-spread, not just a few vendors. More display support translates into more media availability which translates into more money from licenses.

Sony made some pretty serious mistakes (not testing the external devices and poor communications the standout ones to me), but they didn't have as much to gain in all of this as Dolby...follow the money...
Yes, there is absolutely no way that Dolby was not aware of Sony's implementation.

The fact that 8 days after the Sony update, there is an Apple TV beta that supports DV via HDMI for Sony's update indicates that Apple was aware in advance, the change is relatively easy to implement in the source, or both.
Thanks given by:
Nothing371 (01-24-2018), Robert Zohn (01-24-2018), Staying Salty (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #448
Special Member

Nov 2013

Quote:
Yes, there is absolutely no way that Dolby was not aware of Sony's implementation.

The fact that 8 days after the Sony update, there is an Apple TV beta that supports DV via HDMI for Sony's update indicates that Apple was aware in advance, the change is relatively easy to implement in the source, or both.
cgpublic will be shocked to hear this!

Anyways, give us your thoughts on the picture quality you're getting from the Apple TV. Interested to hear how the low latency profile performs.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #449
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2007

LOL, Dolby is looking worse and worse. No way Apple just found out and initiated this fast, with Oppo talking about April...

Anyways, I am signed up for public beta's, can't wait.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #450

Oct 2009

How long does it take for public betas to come out usually?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #451
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Not verified yet that it changes anything with Sony Displays right?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #452
Expert Member

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Not verified yet that it changes anything with Sony Displays right?
Your question is a little too cryptic for me to decipher. Can you elaborate?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #453

Jun 2007
Chicago

Quote:

I think what he meant is that does it actually play DV titles correctly pics are always your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #454
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
I was just asking if that addition to the matching interface showed ATV 4k was now going to work with Sony Displays with that Sony update a few days ago.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #455
Expert Member

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
I think what he meant is that does it actually play DV titles correctly pics are always your friend.

Yes it does. The fact that the Apple TV even shows Dolby Vision means that it has made a handshake with the TV to find supported formats. Prior to this update, Dolby Vision was not available in any form.

Once you select Dolby Vision, like I had in my picture I provided, the logo popped up and then the TV switched to the Dolby Vision picture settings profile and stayed that way though movie playback.
Thanks given by:
dominica (01-24-2018), jnelson2000 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #456

Jun 2007
Chicago

Quote:
Yes it does. The fact that the Apple TV even shows Dolby Vision means that it has made a handshake with the TV to find supported formats. Prior to this update, Dolby Vision was not available in any form.

Once you select Dolby Vision, like I had in my picture I provided, the logo popped up and then the TV switched to the Dolby Vision picture settings profile and stayed that way though movie playback.

Brilliant. Thanks. Wish I could install it and see if it works through my Anthem and Denon DV enabled receivers.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #457

Oct 2009

Quote:

How long does it take for the public beta to come out usually? Would I be able to install the developer beta?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #458

Nov 2015

Quote:
How long does it take for the public beta to come out usually? Would I be able to install the developer beta?
Sometimes same day....other times a few days later.

In order to get it right now, you'd have to spend $99 to join the developer program and have a Mac with Xcode to download the profile to the ATV.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #459

Oct 2017

Quote:
Typically 1-2 days, usually 1 day for the public beta to come out.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #460
Expert Member

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
I was just asking if that addition to the matching interface showed ATV 4k was now going to work with Sony Displays with that Sony update a few days ago.
If you are asking if the latest tvOS 11.3 developer beta released today works with the Sony DV update released last Tuesday, the answer is yes for all the UI elements and movie playback.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology