Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96
 
The Mule 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Dr. Seuss' The Grinch 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Jack Ryan: 5-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
The Scorpion King 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74
 
Batman 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
 
Ralph Breaks the Internet 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #441
mutelight mutelight is offline
Expert Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
19
149
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
The fact that there is zero info out of Dolby means they most likely were in the dark, just as Apple, Oppo and everyone else were in the dark. Dolby is in a tight spot. If they call out Sony, they risk even more damage to the DV standard and may potentially lose a partner. My guess is Sony is relying on their silence.
You have honestly convinced yourself that Dolby did not know about the approach being taken by Sony with their format and even though they had to certify and sign off on the displays?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #442
mutelight mutelight is offline
Expert Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
19
149
1
Default

Well well well, just installed the tvOS 11.3 beta on my Apple TV 4K and looky here!

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dinos (01-24-2018), Lion (01-24-2018), netnothing (01-24-2018), Robert Zohn (01-24-2018), Staying Salty (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #443
tkdkid717 tkdkid717 is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2009
199
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Well well well, just installed the tvOS 11.3 beta on my Apple TV 4K and looky here!

How can I install the beta on my apple tv? Also, will it just upgrade to the full version when the beta is finished, or do i have to manually upgrade going forward?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 PM   #444
bwillcox bwillcox is offline
Member
 
May 2007
1
Default

I actually suspect that Dolby was in the loop as they really have the most to gain from the new profile. The more display devices that can support DV the better for them. They are trying to make DV an industry standard...to do that it needs to be wide-spread, not just a few vendors. More display support translates into more media availability which translates into more money from licenses.

Sony made some pretty serious mistakes (not testing the external devices and poor communications the standout ones to me), but they didn't have as much to gain in all of this as Dolby...follow the money...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 PM   #445
mutelight mutelight is offline
Expert Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
19
149
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdkid717 View Post
How can I install the beta on my apple tv? Also, will it just upgrade to the full version when the beta is finished, or do i have to manually upgrade going forward?
You need an Apple Developer account to install the profile in order to download the developer beta.

Hopefully they bring the beta to the public soon, which you can opt into (if you want) by enabling it under Settings > System > Software Updates then enabling "Get Beta Updates".
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #446
netnothing netnothing is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2015
95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
You need an Apple Developer account to install the profile in order to download the developer beta.

Hopefully they bring the beta to the public soon, which you can opt into (if you want) by enabling it under Settings > System > Software Updates then enabling "Get Beta Updates".
Awesome! Thanks for posting. Usually the public beta isn't far behind.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #447
mutelight mutelight is offline
Expert Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
19
149
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
I actually suspect that Dolby was in the loop as they really have the most to gain from the new profile. The more display devices that can support DV the better for them. They are trying to make DV an industry standard...to do that it needs to be wide-spread, not just a few vendors. More display support translates into more media availability which translates into more money from licenses.

Sony made some pretty serious mistakes (not testing the external devices and poor communications the standout ones to me), but they didn't have as much to gain in all of this as Dolby...follow the money...
Yes, there is absolutely no way that Dolby was not aware of Sony's implementation.

The fact that 8 days after the Sony update, there is an Apple TV beta that supports DV via HDMI for Sony's update indicates that Apple was aware in advance, the change is relatively easy to implement in the source, or both.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Nothing371 (01-24-2018), Robert Zohn (01-24-2018), Staying Salty (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #448
BrownianMotion BrownianMotion is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Yes, there is absolutely no way that Dolby was not aware of Sony's implementation.

The fact that 8 days after the Sony update, there is an Apple TV beta that supports DV via HDMI for Sony's update indicates that Apple was aware in advance, the change is relatively easy to implement in the source, or both.
cgpublic will be shocked to hear this!

Anyways, give us your thoughts on the picture quality you're getting from the Apple TV. Interested to hear how the low latency profile performs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #449
elwaylite elwaylite is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
elwaylite's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Default

LOL, Dolby is looking worse and worse. No way Apple just found out and initiated this fast, with Oppo talking about April...

Anyways, I am signed up for public beta's, can't wait.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #450
tkdkid717 tkdkid717 is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2009
199
13
Default

How long does it take for public betas to come out usually?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #451
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester
667
219
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Well well well, just installed the tvOS 11.3 beta on my Apple TV 4K and looky here!
Not verified yet that it changes anything with Sony Displays right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #452
mutelight mutelight is offline
Expert Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
19
149
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Not verified yet that it changes anything with Sony Displays right?
Your question is a little too cryptic for me to decipher. Can you elaborate?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #453
jnelson2000 jnelson2000 is offline
Junior Member
 
Jun 2007
Chicago
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Your question is a little too cryptic for me to decipher. Can you elaborate?


I think what he meant is that does it actually play DV titles correctly pics are always your friend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #454
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester
667
219
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Your question is a little too cryptic for me to decipher. Can you elaborate?
I was just asking if that addition to the matching interface showed ATV 4k was now going to work with Sony Displays with that Sony update a few days ago.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #455
mutelight mutelight is offline
Expert Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
19
149
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
I think what he meant is that does it actually play DV titles correctly pics are always your friend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it does. The fact that the Apple TV even shows Dolby Vision means that it has made a handshake with the TV to find supported formats. Prior to this update, Dolby Vision was not available in any form.

Once you select Dolby Vision, like I had in my picture I provided, the logo popped up and then the TV switched to the Dolby Vision picture settings profile and stayed that way though movie playback.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dominica (01-24-2018), jnelson2000 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #456
jnelson2000 jnelson2000 is offline
Junior Member
 
Jun 2007
Chicago
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Yes it does. The fact that the Apple TV even shows Dolby Vision means that it has made a handshake with the TV to find supported formats. Prior to this update, Dolby Vision was not available in any form.



Once you select Dolby Vision, like I had in my picture I provided, the logo popped up and then the TV switched to the Dolby Vision picture settings profile and stayed that way though movie playback.


Brilliant. Thanks. Wish I could install it and see if it works through my Anthem and Denon DV enabled receivers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #457
tkdkid717 tkdkid717 is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2009
199
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Yes it does. The fact that the Apple TV even shows Dolby Vision means that it has made a handshake with the TV to find supported formats. Prior to this update, Dolby Vision was not available in any form.

Once you select Dolby Vision, like I had in my picture I provided, the logo popped up and then the TV switched to the Dolby Vision picture settings profile and stayed that way though movie playback.
How long does it take for the public beta to come out usually? Would I be able to install the developer beta?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #458
netnothing netnothing is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2015
95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdkid717 View Post
How long does it take for the public beta to come out usually? Would I be able to install the developer beta?
Sometimes same day....other times a few days later.

In order to get it right now, you'd have to spend $99 to join the developer program and have a Mac with Xcode to download the profile to the ATV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #459
Nordic4tKnight Nordic4tKnight is offline
Member
 
Oct 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdkid717 View Post
How long does it take for the public beta to come out usually? Would I be able to install the developer beta?
Typically 1-2 days, usually 1 day for the public beta to come out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #460
mutelight mutelight is offline
Expert Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
19
149
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
I was just asking if that addition to the matching interface showed ATV 4k was now going to work with Sony Displays with that Sony update a few days ago.
If you are asking if the latest tvOS 11.3 developer beta released today works with the Sony DV update released last Tuesday, the answer is yes for all the UI elements and movie playback.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16 PM.