Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
7 hrs ago
Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Titans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
17 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

The Flash: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
19 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$169.99

The Legend of Korra: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.39

Supernatural: The Complete Fourteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
22 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$20.89

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$20.39

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 06-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-
Send a message via AIM to Afrobean
Default The Legend of Korra

Can't believe there's not an active thread about this show. It's so good.

Anyway, it's a sequel series to Avatar the Last Airbender.

In the show's Universe, some people have an ability to manipulate the classical elements. Water, Earth, Fire and Air. It's called bending. Normally, a person can only bend one element, but there is one person in the world who is capable of bending all four. This person is the Avatar. The first series told the story of Avatar Aang and his journey to learn the four elements so that he could stop a war that'd been going on for a hundred years. The Legend of Korra stars the next Avatar and takes place 70 years after the first series. While the first series was about a child exploring the world and trying to end a war, this series is about a teenager in an urban environment, trying to maintain peace in a tumultuous time when benders and non-benders have come into conflict.

It is so incredibly good. It is mind bogglingly amazing. The Last Airbender is an amazing show in its own right, but Legend of Korra is so good that it makes The Last Airbender look like crap by comparison. The animation is the best I've seen in any animated series, better even than many full-length movies. The voice acting is great, the writing is great, and the season-long arc has been spellbinding thus far. The season will be ending in two weeks, so now is a great time to plow through the first season this far and catch the end of it along with everyone else. Seeing The Last Airbender and being familiar with the story will help you enjoy small parts of it, but it really isn't required reading. Anyone should be able to appreciate the show. There isn't really any continuity lock-out here, so if you haven't seen the other show, don't let that stop you from checking it out.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

What day and time is this show on?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2011

Saturday mornings at 11:00 on Nick.

Agreed it's a terrific follow-up to the original series.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
Special Member

May 2009

In Canada, the show just premiered on the 9th. Just caught up with the episode online (legally - needless to say) and I'm blown by waters. That said, I've only seen the first episode so don't spoil me haha.

I love the quality of the animation and soundtrack. Everything is above the league from the previous. What I most definitely love aside from the high-definition widescreen medium is the consistency of the frame rate. I really don't know how else to put it but Avatar: TLA was inconsistent between 24fps and 30fps. Annoyed the heck out of me.

Won't have to deal with those anymore. That AND the interlace issues.

Makes me wish they'd remaster the original series for Blu-Ray. So any word on a future Blu-Ray release for this one? Right now I'm debating if I should continue watching live on Television or just wait for the blu-ray release. I hate having to wait week after week.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-C-Blue View Post
Makes me wish they'd remaster the original series for Blu-Ray.
Same here. I'd love to own the original series, but I know if I break down and get the DVD sets, it'll be announced for a Blu release a week later.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-C-Blue View Post
Makes me wish they'd remaster the original series for Blu-Ray. So any word on a future Blu-Ray release for this one? Right now I'm debating if I should continue watching live on Television or just wait for the blu-ray release. I hate having to wait week after week.
The Last Airbender was animated digitally in SD. It can't be "remastered" for Blu-ray. They could put it on Blu-ray by using a high-tech upscale from 480 to 1080, but it wouldn't be true HD and wouldn't look as good as it would have if it had been created in HD. I'd probably rebuy it if it looked good though, I seem to recall there being some bad interlacing on the old DVDs. I've been watching it on Netflix lately and it's even worse there...

The Legend of Korra is much more likely to get a BD release, but even that's not a given. Can anyone cite precedent on how Viacom treats animated TV shows on Blu-ray? I know they're doing a pretty good job with South Park BD releases, but what if the cartoon is "for children"? How many animated series "for children" have even come out on BD?

Also, I would say to not bother trying to wait. The season is almost up and will be easy to catch up online even if your region isn't keeping up. It won't be on home video for a long time yet, and there's a chance it would be DVD-only. They could also try to screw the fans and only release it as, say, 3 episode-per-disc "volumes" rather than as a complete season (read: book).
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
jachackey

China

Do not know to be able to make, use hd technology.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands

I actually made a thread about this like last week, which of course disappeared. -_-
And not sure why it got zero response on it in even a week. Everyone ignored me or something?

Anyway, I instantly loved this series after the first 2 or 3 episodes even, it sure like "brings back memories" from "Avatar".
And it doesn't stand as apart from the first series as people kept saying everywhere, it actually follows it quite closely, which is great.
The series more and more intense, with all kinds of crazy mysterious surprises.

But I love the quality, the story, the design (although I wasn't so sure about it when hearing it would involve steampunk when it was just announced,
but it's not so literally "steampunk" as we know it, I'm glad), the action is awesome, I love Korra's voice and character
(and all the other characters as well actually), it's also hilarious, charming and moving. I hope it keeps going like this and becomes just as great as "Avatar".

I'm also wondering when we could expect this on Blu-ray though, cause I'm tired of finding good downloads.
I don't think we exactly have nickHD here in The Netherlands, and besides, it would have commercials and that sucks.
If there would be a BD-release of it some time soon, I might be able to wait for it and not bother with finding a good download every so much time.
When I watched Episode 9 last night, I really had to think about what happened in the previous episodes as even number 8 was a while ago.
And watching a lot of other stuff in between doesn't help either.
So I might almost wait, but I'm not so sure about how soon there would be a BD-release.

I'm glad the amount of viewers picked up on the last episode by the way,
it seemed to be declining and episode 8 had over 1.5 million viewers less than the first two.
Unless that was just aired at an unfortunate time. I don't know if something popular was on US TV on June 2nd?...
Anyway, it had quite a bit more viewers for episode 9 on June 9th, still almost a million less than the first though.
But oh well, I guess some people didn't like it and never returned to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Also, I would say to not bother trying to wait. The season is almost up and will be easy to catch up online even if your region isn't keeping up. It won't be on home video for a long time yet, and there's a chance it would be DVD-only. They could also try to screw the fans and only release it as, say, 3 episode-per-disc "volumes" rather than as a complete season (read: book).
Well, like I said above, downloads suck. I personally have to convert them anyway when I want to watch them on the PS3.

I doubt this would be DVD-only in HD, DVD is almost done, it's getting pushed into the background more and more.
And also, Nickelodeon or whatever company would be stupid to not invest in this.
I mean, sure, they'll have a lot of merchandise, but I think this series would have plenty of older viewers as well who would buy it.
I think sooner than the kids who know their way around computers and downloads and such.

But why would they try to screw the fans with volumes? I thought the DVDs for "Avatar" were proper full books (seasons).
I have little doubt that, if it would come to BD, that it would be the complete thing, if not simply one release for each season.
Like this:

I did see earlier volume-releases though... But it's quite an "old" thing to do, I rarely see that anymore, especially not with Blu-ray.

Edit:

I also just found "The Complete Collection" up for pre-order (DVD though): http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/32237...ngDetails.html

Hmm... that doesn't seem like a coincidence of course. Although it's quite a while after the finale of book/season 1.
Perhaps the start of book/season 2 is around that time.
I might just invest in this if there isn't even a possibility for "Avatar" to be in HD...
Which is very unfortunate by the way. But it would be great if it would be possible to remaster in SD and in widescreen if there was enough image left.

Last edited by Damage Inc.; 06-13-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #9

Mar 2009

I really hope this gets a Blu-Ray release. The show is phenomenal and the animation is incredible.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc. View Post
I doubt this would be DVD-only in HD, DVD is almost done, it's getting pushed into the background more and more.
That's the thing, it wouldn't be HD at all. And DVD is still used plenty. For example, Young Justice has started getting released on home video... but ONLY on DVD. Maybe they'll do Young Justice on BD when they finally do the season set, but my point is that BD is not a given, not by any stretch of the imagination, especially when you're talking TV and especially when you're talking animation and ESPECIALLY when you're talking "kid" shows.

Quote:
But why would they try to screw the fans with volumes?
Because that's a common tactic for distributors, especially for "kiddie shows". They figure they can make more money by selling the season spread out over 4 or more volumes at 15 bucks each, and then later on releasing a proper season set. I don't know anyone who actually buys the volumes though. Anyone who wants to own it just waits.

And yeah, The Last Airbender had volume releases too. Even if they go for Blu-ray for Korra, they could still do volume-style releases. I think I've seen a few different anime series doing it that way, and Legend of Korra definitely has a fanbase that overlaps heavily with anime fanbase. It's just a question of how Viacom decides to handle it.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #11

Mar 2009

The show averages between 3-4 million viewers each week. You would think that alone would be enough to convince them to do a Blu-Ray release.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Thanks for the heads up I'll deff catch it.

@Damageinc, I've never seen the complete collection listed for sale anywhere. I guess its safe to assume that the site you linked to is for the European market?

I wish they would release the complete collection here in the states....

For this price it most deff has to be a bootleg!!!!http://www.ioffer.com/i/avatar-last-...-dvd-510659664

Last edited by onyxbfly; 06-13-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Expert Member

May 2010
Boston, MA

The show looks amazing on Nick HD. It DEMANDS a blu-ray release! I think the show is so good and is a great sequel series to The Last Airbender (which I wish would come out on blu!) My only criticism is that the plan for the series is to only have 24 episodes! I know it was originally 12, so we're lucky to even get 24, but I wish it could last longer.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post
Thanks for the heads up I'll deff catch it.

@Damageinc, I've never seen the complete collection listed for sale anywhere. I guess its safe to assume that the site you linked to is for the European market?

I wish they would release the complete collection here in the states....

For this price it most deff has to be a bootleg!!!!http://www.ioffer.com/i/avatar-last-...-dvd-510659664
Well, that's Play.com, but I'm not so sure where that company is based, but yes, probably the UK.
Although, for me, sitting in The Netherlands with my computer, it automatically shows me the price in Euros. So at least it's not limited to the UK.

What you showed there is definitely a bootleg, especially since I don't think there IS a complete collection.
But it's so typical that they show an image like that and not the actual product.

And also, the 3 Season-sets might also be out in the US, but again, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambaldi47 View Post
The show looks amazing on Nick HD. It DEMANDS a blu-ray release! I think the show is so good and is a great sequel series to The Last Airbender (which I wish would come out on blu!) My only criticism is that the plan for the series is to only have 24 episodes! I know it was originally 12, so we're lucky to even get 24, but I wish it could last longer.
Well, the second season is already up to 14 episodes, so it would be at least 26.
But I doubt it will only be two seasons, as they call each season a certain "book", being one book per element.
And as there were 3 done for Aang's series, I doubt it would be less for Korra.
I mean, they seem to follow the same concept quite closely, and 26 fairly short episodes seems a bit insufficient to tell a story of this scale.
I've watched the episodes that are available and I have a hard time seeing them blow through the rest of the story in 17 more episodes.
Especially since with Aang they did it in SIXTY-ONE episodes.

An interesting thing, however, is that the Seasons or "Books" of Aang's series were called 'Water', 'Earth' and 'Fire'.
Then for Korra, the first Season or "Book" is 'Air'. Which of course all has to do with what bending they had to learn.
So... and maybe I should put a spoiler-tag here, actually I better, since they seem to be excluding the other elements,
unless they're doing it in a different order,
[Show spoiler]maybe the next Seasons would be 'Metal' and 'Blood'
?
And I'm exciting myself cause I just basically made this up on the spot. But it's very likely seeing what's going on in the latest episodes.
Would be freaking awesome though, cause that could give a similar effect to when they showed what Aang was capable of.

Last edited by Damage Inc.; 06-16-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
The Last Airbender was animated digitally in SD. It can't be "remastered" for Blu-ray. They could put it on Blu-ray by using a high-tech upscale from 480 to 1080, but it wouldn't be true HD and wouldn't look as good as it would have if it had been created in HD. I'd probably rebuy it if it looked good though, I seem to recall there being some bad interlacing on the old DVDs. I've been watching it on Netflix lately and it's even worse there...

The Legend of Korra is much more likely to get a BD release, but even that's not a given. Can anyone cite precedent on how Viacom treats animated TV shows on Blu-ray? I know they're doing a pretty good job with South Park BD releases, but what if the cartoon is "for children"? How many animated series "for children" have even come out on BD?
I wouldn't say that it can't be, not if they go back to the "drawing boards" with the animation cells and such. That's assuming that they still have it of course (wasn't it made with DR MOVIE? That's usually the company the animates Anime opening intro's and outro's, right?). And yes there's interlace issues along with major edge enhancements, ESPECIALLY on "The Serpent's Pass" (Episode 2.12). I'd always have to turn the sharpness down to 0 in that episode.

And how could I forget about the sound department. Remixed audio in 5.1 would be sick! I'm expecting this in Korra as well - it'd be a sad-missed opportunity for such an action packed series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
Same here. I'd love to own the original series, but I know if I break down and get the DVD sets, it'll be announced for a Blu release a week later.
From the looks of it, it's hard to say if it will happen I just got lucky taking advantage of the sales during the run of the lacklustre movie - probably the only good thing that came out of it - like buying Book 3 for $16.99

If they're not going to remaster it, they should at least do the same for North American fans with a Complete Series release. At a descent price of course.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands

If the creators care enough, and the fans as well, they will probably release it in HD.
But I get the feeling it might come to Blu-ray not very long after "Korra" will be out on Blu-ray if ever. I mean, if it does, I'm sure "Aang" will follow.

I think I might still invest in the DVD-set on Play that seems to be coming.
I just hope the quality will be good for DVD/SD-standards, but I won't pay more than... I don't know, 30-40 Euros?...
It's currently 54 Euros on Pre-Order, and I don't think Play really lowers/changes prices often like Amazon would. So guess I'm screwed...
Unless there's more to the package, like some good swag, I'm not going to buy that.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc. View Post
Well, the second season is already up to 14 episodes, so it would be at least 26.
But I doubt it will only be two seasons, as they call each season a certain "book", being one book per element.
And as there were 3 done for Aang's series, I doubt it would be less for Korra.
I mean, they seem to follow the same concept quite closely, and 26 fairly short episodes seems a bit insufficient to tell a story of this scale.
I've watched the episodes that are available and I have a hard time seeing them blow through the rest of the story in 17 more episodes.
Especially since with Aang they did it in SIXTY-ONE episodes.
I'm not sure Korra will have more seasons/episodes than the 26 currently slated. I mean, it seems like the writers plan things out quite well and have this set end date to tell their story.

Excited by the new Complete Series set of Avatar though. I think an upscale to HD could look good (like The Simpsons pre-season 20), but I doubt will ever happen. But I much prefer to get complete sets for series which have finished, so I might get it on DVD anyway. My partner has the individual sets but I don't have any myself.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by nametag View Post
I'm not sure Korra will have more seasons/episodes than the 26 currently slated. I mean, it seems like the writers plan things out quite well and have this set end date to tell their story.
Well, I was just thinking that maybe it simply isn't announced yet. Maybe they're not sure if they'll already end it with Season 2.
And, again, it just seems too short to be over by then already. I think it would simplify the story a lot, unless they cram a lot of details into each episode.
The "Aang"-series seemed like a very complex and long journey, and if "Korra" would be even half or two-third of that,
having only a third or not even half the amount of episodes that "Avatar" had just seems too little.

So, that's just how I figure it. It could well be that it ends at Episode 26, but it wouldn't be for the better I'm afraid...
Unless it really is quite a short and simple story, basically building up to a battle and that's that, but I'm hoping there's more to it.

Last edited by Damage Inc.; 06-16-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #19

Mar 2009

Today's episode was amazing! Holy cow I love this show.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndam View Post
Today's episode was amazing! Holy cow I love this show.
I've just finished watching it. It was a pretty great episode.
The voice of that General at the end was a bit too familiar, no?
It sounded too young compared to the look of the man, but myeah...

I did notice how quickly they go through events and all that though. Like, for example, how Tenzin was already speaking of Amon
[Show spoiler]"starting his end-game"
So I fear it might indeed only be 26 Episodes, but it already feels rushed. -_-

Also, I hate that spoiler-infested trailer (about the "season finale"?) they throw into your face right after each episode.
It shows the Aang-statue
[Show spoiler]wearing Amon's mask
for crying out loud!

The expressions on the faces of the characters though, especially this episode. Pema in the kitchen, when she walks away. Meelo in slow-motion.
Frickin' hilarious! XD
Thanks given by:
TheFrozenThrone (09-11-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows