Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fack ju G÷hte 3 (Blu-ray)
€6.99

Enemy Mine (Blu-ray)
€10.99

Passengers 3D (Blu-ray)
€7.99

Star Trek: Legends of the Final Frontier Collection (Blu-ray)
€29.97

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (Blu-ray)
€12.49

Mom and Dad (Blu-ray)
€9.99
20 hrs ago
Mutafukaz (Blu-ray)
€22.99

Doctor Who: Erdsto▀ (Blu-ray)
€14.97

Doctor Who: Castrovalva (Blu-ray)
€14.97

Hogan's Heroes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
€60.40

Black Panther (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Helene Fischer Live - Die Arena-Tournee (Blu-ray)
€8.56

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
Special Member

Dec 2010
Germany
Germany Voyage of the Rock Aliens (1985) - 03/27/13

VZ-Handelsgesellschaft, the same guys who unleashed the awful quality Blu-ray of Leviathan will also release the cheesy 80s cult flick Voyage of the Rock Aliens.
Posting this as a warning though I'm hoping for somewhat "decent" quality but I'm not holding my breath.

Source: amazon.de
Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Special Member

Dec 2010
Germany

Released today, received my copy this morning. About the quality, I've jumped through a few chapters and the picture quality of the zoomed 16:9 version is awful.
I strongly assume it's an upscale (and/or direct port from the German 2009 DVD) but I don't own whatever it takes to find out. So I guess I'm not wrong in also assuming that the print source is VHS related, maybe from a clean VHS master, but I didn't see any typical VHS-like drop out action either (according to reviews the German DVD has better quality than the UK DVD).
The disc offers German and English Audio (standard stereo I think, sounded ok), and you can also choose the 4:3 version which looks actually much 'better' (DNR applied I think). My Region A player spit out the disc so my best guess is it's Region B locked.

For a cheesy movie like this I must say the more or less poor quality was quite fitting and maybe even (can't believe I'm saying this) appropriate in a retro sort of way. If anything, it gave me ideas for pairing similar quality themed 1980s double features for future movie nights.

Last edited by Leslie Dame; 07-12-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Expert Member

Feb 2009

The disc has no special features, right?

I've seen this release listed as 1080i, and without special features. Considering the amount of extras the 2 DVD set has, I really have to wonder what are they thinking? Upscale + missing plenty of video extras makes it very hard to justify a purchase.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Special Member

Dec 2010
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funktion View Post
The disc has no special features, right?

I've seen this release listed as 1080i, and without special features. Considering the amount of extras the 2 DVD set has, I really have to wonder what are they thinking? Upscale + missing plenty of video extras makes it very hard to justify a purchase.
I didn't check special features when I was testing the disc but the back cover claims there's a picture gallery, "soundtrack", trailer and Promo reel.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:16 AM   #5
Power Member

Aug 2009

I just bought this. It'll be interesting to compare it to the "VHS dupe quality" dvd that I have, and also I will see if my Oppo/Marantz/Epson 5030 system will have any issues playing it, as this is my first 1080i disc, as far as I know. This movie is so terrible, it demands to be seen. It's a must for my movie night crowd. We specialize in enjoyable crappy movies, and this fits the bill to a T. As an opening short, I'm going to try to find the coverage of the scandals surrounding Pia Zadora's career. Pia Zadora night!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
Power Member

Aug 2009

The disc just got here from Germany. It's miles above the terrible, probable boot, Aussie DVD which was the only thing I was able to find previously. Really quite watchable in terms of video quality, much more detail, and less murky. The crunchy edges on the white title graphics are about the worst thing I see, at first glance, given the low budget everything about this production.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany