Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapter 4 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
1 hr ago
The Night of the Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 hr ago
John Wick: Chapter 4 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
3 hrs ago
Stone Cold (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
The Longest Yard 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
Scream VI 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.96
5 hrs ago
Danza Macabra Vol. One: The Italian Gothic Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99
1 day ago
Mexico Macabre: Four Sinister Tales from the Alameda Films Vault, 1959-1963 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Max Fleischer's Superman (Blu-ray)
$26.62
2 hrs ago
Marquis de Sade's Justine 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.51
1 day ago
Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema XIII (Blu-ray)
$34.99
3 hrs ago
The Fast and the Furious 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries

Old 07-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

Jul 2010
Post hotandserious' 6000+ BRD/DVD Storage Solution Gallery

Hi There -

I made a short video showing how I've squeezed 6000+ Blus & DVDs into my apartment with the intent of helping folks who may be facing storage issues.

It's a little shaky & the audio could be louder, so apologies...

I also took a few photos...

Fortunately, my wife and I have a large living room in our apartment, so it doubles as our home theater.
The back wall is where we keep all of our discs.

DVDs that don't come in traditional cases go on the shelving units mounted on the wall.

We can't easily reach the top shelf, so boxes on the very top are empty and for display only.

I primarily collect older films and 3D discs.

Here are some Blu-ray 3D discs in one of our three large spinning towers.
These towers are the largest capacity I've been able to find.

Each tower has a capacity of 756 DVDs, but since blu-rays in the USA
come in thinner cases, you can get 34 BRDs per shelf. With 7 shelves per side
(when spaced equally), that comes to a capacity of 952 blu-rays.

The towers are represented as holding more (1056 Blu-rays),
so technically you could stack a few in on their sides, etc - but it will look a bit awkward.
Results will be different with thicker UK BRD cases, etc.

Here's a detail of the center shelving with some Arrow Video Blus, Cinerama movies,
and a couple of Charlton Heston epics.

Center shelves and more 3D Blu-rays.

This cart fits nicely under the center shelves.

More 3D discs and some EC slipcased box sets on the bookshelf to the right.

More books.

DVDS that originally came in cases have their cases removed,
are inserted in vinyl sleeves, and are filed in these drawers.

I had the drawers custom made. We use divider cards to organize by genre, star or director.

Myrna Loy rates a divider.

Here are some DVDs in the vinyl sleeves.

...and some Blu-Rays in the vinyl sleeves too.

I talk a bit about how I arrived at this storage system in the video link up at the top. It will also give you a better look at the discs and a quick overview of the room including our ceiling-mounted projector and screen.

If you have any questions or comments, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Last edited by hotandserious; 07-29-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Thanks given by:
aaaa6344 (06-25-2022), Crispy0009 (12-29-2017), honeylatte (01-07-2019), JMDiaz718 (11-14-2017), Mattgreenbean (05-15-2019), meree (04-05-2020), MifuneFan (01-09-2015), Mike_C (01-22-2018), SlaughterX (06-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008

wow u got a lot of flicks good stuff
Old 07-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Upstate SC

Wow! What movies do you not have? Great collection.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......

Very impressive I like the spinning towers, mass storage, little space taken, great pieces!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #5

Jun 2012
Pacific Northwest

Awesome! Your collection is amazing! Right now, I'm struggling to keep my 1100+ blurays and 200+ dvds organized and shelved. Plenty more are arriving and some of my steelbooks are just piled up on the floor. I have way less than your 6000+ collection and already challenged. I thought about turning one of the bedrooms here in my townhome into a media room. Your ideas here are great. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #6

Jul 2010

Thanks Everybody!

If you are interested in the rotating towers, these are the spinners I have (Venture Horizon 2393):
http://www.amazon.com/Venture-Horizo.../dp/B000RK53RI

I did find them cheaper than this amazon listing, so it may be worth shopping around.

After I lived with them for a while, I made two modifications to the towers:

1) The actual boards that act as shelves are a bit thin. I found that they started to bow in the center after a few months and that drove me nuts. The boards just slide in and out of the unit, so I had new interior shelves cut that were thicker.

2) When loaded up, the spinner shelf is heavy - and over time, the little plastic spinner wheel that rotates on the base board started digging in to the wood base - bits of saw dust started emanating from the bottom of the tower! I had a thin metal plate cut to size and placed it right under the spinner wheel so it would spin on the metal rather than the wood. That solved the problem.

They are really quite nice. The space savings you get out of just one is amazing.

Last edited by hotandserious; 07-28-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotandserious View Post
Thanks Everybody!
When loaded up, the spinner shelf is heavy - and over time, the little plastic spinner wheel that rotates on the base board started digging in to the wood base - bits of saw dust started emanating from the bottom of the tower! I had a thin metal plate cut to size and placed it right under the spinner wheel so it would spin on the metal rather than the wood. That solved the problem.

They are really quite nice. The space savings you get out of just one is amazing.

I can imagine they're heavy and that an upgrade would be a necessity .
Old 07-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

Just FYI. Very jealous of your collection right now.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #9

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceape View Post
Wow that's an incredible collection of movies hotandserious. I think you have one of the biggest collections in here.

Also a very good utilization of space for both media and equipment.

Just FYI. Very jealous of your collection right now.

Thanks a lot spaceape! I've been collecting pretty diligently for over a decade now, so this is the result of years and years of persistence. Blu-ray.com and the community here have been a lot of help when it comes to finding bargains, etc.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:
Thanks a lot spaceape! I've been collecting pretty diligently for over a decade now, so this is the result of years and years of persistence. Blu-ray.com and the community here have been a lot of help when it comes to finding bargains, etc.
It certainly shows.

Any Hammer films in there somewhere?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #12

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceape View Post
Any Hammer films in there somewhere?
Hi spaceape - I love the old Hammer films and I have just about all of them on DVD. They were one of my priorities back when Anchor Bay was still producing them in the USA, and I picked up the collections available from Columbia, Warners, Universal, etc - even the Hammer Noir series from VCI. I went to Region 2 for a few I didn't have on Region 1.

I've been slow to upgrade them to Blu so far. I have the releases from Synapse - and I couldn't resist getting the UK releases of Curse Of Frankenstein and (The Horror of) Dracula. I just got those this month, so I haven't given them a spin yet (I'm a little scared given some of the reviews of Curse Of Frankenstein - )

On the video at about the 2:50 mark you can see the blu-ray of (The Horror of) Dracula facing front just under Re-animator and Suspiria.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
This is how i looked!

Last edited by spaceape; 07-28-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

I have yet to understand why someone would buy so many movies. Is the collection the hobby? Because it couldn't be the viewing of them.

What percentage of them actually viewed when you bring them home?

What type of system do you view/listen to them on to appreciate what you actually have?

Of all those movies, what are you top ten favorites? Most people favorites, they watch more than once, do you get a chance to re-watch any of them?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:
Hi spaceape - I love the old Hammer films and I have just about all of them on DVD. They were one of my priorities back when Anchor Bay was still producing them in the USA, and I picked up the collections available from Columbia, Warners, Universal, etc - even the Hammer Noir series from VCI. I went to Region 2 for a few I didn't have on Region 1.

I've been slow to upgrade them to Blu so far. I have the releases from Synapse - and I couldn't resist getting the UK releases of Curse Of Frankenstein and (The Horror of) Dracula. I just got those this month, so I haven't given them a spin yet (I'm a little scared given some of the reviews of Curse Of Frankenstein - )

On the video at about the 2:50 mark you can see the blu-ray of (The Horror of) Dracula facing front just under Re-animator and Suspiria.
Very nice my friend. You seem to have it all sorted out then.

I have all of those Universal Horror Legacy Collections and a few classics but nothing like what you have.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #16

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
I have yet to understand why someone would buy so many movies. Is the collection the hobby? Because it couldn't be the viewing of them.

What percentage of them actually viewed when you bring them home?

What type of system do you view/listen to them on to appreciate what you actually have?

Of all those movies, what are you top ten favorites? Most people favorites, they watch more than once, do you get a chance to re-watch any of them?
Hi HAMP,

I briefly touch on this in the video, but I caught the collector bug early as a kid by collecting comic books - that led to toys, music and ultimately movies. My mom had a love of classic movies and so I saw a lot when I was young. I later studied animation in school (though life took me in a different direction), but one of the best things about that was getting exposed to a lot of films in college (I had an entire class on film noir for example - LOL). I never collected VHS, and when DVD started to hit, initially there was very little that I was interested in.

Simitar released a box set of Godzilla DVDs, and I always like the goofy artistry of the old Toho monster films, so as new (old) "man-in-suit" movies were released, I started collecting those. Then I read Bill Warren's excellent book "Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties" (here is a link to a new edition: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0786442301 ) - and started collecting 50's sci-fi films as they started reaching DVD. That reignited my interest in classic Hollywood movies and so on and so on.

There were plenty of historians recording commentary tracks for older films during the golden age of DVD - that became my film school (was easy to listen to while working) and it was a constant series of discoveries. I was able to flip a lot from my other collections to beef up my movie collection over the years.

Unfortunately, my job is pretty demanding and so we generally only have time to watch movies on the weekends. There's a LOT that I have that I haven't had time to watch (and certainly never will) - but it is very gratifying having a personal library to pull from - - - and - other hardcore collectors will be able to relate to this - I am very specific about what I buy.

When Blockbuster & Hollywood Video were having their fire sales, I was able to pick up a lot of things that I wouldn't have been able to buy at retail (lots of Criterions under $5.00, etc) - but I never bought anything unless I had some interest in it (and condition of the disc and artwork are important).

When we really want to settle in and give the movie our full attention we use the Optoma HD33 projector seen in the video. We have a surround system, but thats nothing to write home about. I live in an apartment and can only take the audio so far without raising the ire of the neighbors.

I do re-watch favorite films, often at the expense of others waiting to be seen - LOL. I've never tried to compile a top ten list of favorite films, but here are some that come to mind:

Twentieth Century
Grand Hotel
The Asphalt Jungle
Dial M For Murder 3D
Monster Zero
The Searchers
Dr. Strangelove
Faces (Cassavetes)
Sunset Boulevard
Double Indemnity
Coconuts (Marx Bros)
A Slight Case Of Murder
Treasure Of The Sierra Madre
The Third Man
- just about anything w/ Cagney, E.G. Robinson, Carole Lombard, Peter Lorre, Jean Harlow, Vincent Price, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Last edited by hotandserious; 07-29-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Thank you very much for that explanation, and now I have a understanding of why you and maybe some collect so many films, although Iím not sure other stories wouldnít compare to yours.

Interesting that you didnít collect VHS and barely touched on DVDís, but what was it about the bluray that caught your full attention?

Believe I was surprised to read that you didnít buy anything unless you had some interest in it, and very specific about it. You have a very large interest, If you know what I mean.

Honestly I wouldnít want to be able to keep up with that many movies, but there is a slight admiration to be able pick from so many movies to watch on a boring night with nothing to do. I often run to the video store and pick something up or the latest the greatest has been Netflix.

From your list, I believe I may try and find three of them to check out.

As a kid, I remember seeing a black & white movie and it was a woman Pirate. I was so young I wasnít into the name of the stars back then, but that movie often comes up in my mind as something I would love to watch again or own. Would you happen to have something like that?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #18

Jul 2010

Quote:
Thank you very much for that explanation, and now I have a understanding of why you and maybe some collect so many films, although I’m not sure other stories wouldn’t compare to yours.

Interesting that you didn’t collect VHS and barely touched on DVD’s, but what was it about the bluray that caught your full attention?

Believe I was surprised to read that you didn’t buy anything unless you had some interest in it, and very specific about it. You have a very large interest, If you know what I mean.

Honestly I wouldn’t want to be able to keep up with that many movies, but there is a slight admiration to be able pick from so many movies to watch on a boring night with nothing to do. I often run to the video store and pick something up or the latest the greatest has been Netflix.

From your list, I believe I may try and find three of them to check out.

As a kid, I remember seeing a black & white movie and it was a woman Pirate. I was so young I wasn’t into the name of the stars back then, but that movie often comes up in my mind as something I would love to watch again or own. Would you happen to have something like that?
VHS never really appealed to me. I'm sure that if I had been collecting back then I'd have gotten into laser discs, but fortunately I missed that boat.

When DVD finally came to market, there wasn't much available that I was interested in. The early waves of releases were primarily (then) contemporary films. But as the format matured and more obscure titles came to market, my interest grew along with it. So it was DVD rather than Blu-ray that caught my full attention.

To use film noir as an example, when Warner Bros released their initial box set of Noir films in 2004, I was excited because I remembered seeing "Murder My Sweet" & "Out Of The Past" years ago. That lead to a broader interest in the genre and coincided with the studios releasing more and more classic noir films as it was the "flavor of the day" for a few years. - - - And as I'd learn more, there was always more to discover.

Then the completionist complex sets in - "Wow, these movies directed by Fritz Lang are great. I wonder how his other films are?" Even the not-so good movies are interesting in this context.

Blu-ray appeals for the obvious reasons, but its still heavily focused on new films and I'm less interested in those.

I wish I could help with the woman Pirate film. I'm not very up on classic pirate films, but maybe this will help?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pirate_films

If you go to the Turner Classic Movies board, there is bound to be someone there who will be able to identify it within minutes.

Last edited by hotandserious; 07-29-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #19
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Howdy Sir!

I just viewed your vid that is posted in the beginning of your thread. Great work and everything looks fantastic. Your organization is incredible and far better than mine at the current moment.
I like how people show the cover and not just the spine of the cases, it really does make looking for something better.

What program are you using to keep up with your movies? I noticed you donít have them listed on bluray.com

I happen to use bluray.com program to look up movies before I buy to make sure I donít have it already. With that thought, I am wondering how many times have you made the error of buying the same movie on the same format? With my few couple hundred I have done it twice, I think.

Thank you for that link, I will be searching for that movie.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #20

Jul 2010

Quote:
Howdy Sir!

I just viewed your vid that is posted in the beginning of your thread. Great work and everything looks fantastic. Your organization is incredible and far better than mine at the current moment.
I like how people show the cover and not just the spine of the cases, it really does make looking for something better.

What program are you using to keep up with your movies? I noticed you don’t have them listed on bluray.com

I happen to use bluray.com program to look up movies before I buy to make sure I don’t have it already. With that thought, I am wondering how many times have you made the error of buying the same movie on the same format? With my few couple hundred I have done it twice, I think.

Thank you for that link, I will be searching for that movie.
Thanks again HAMP. I use DVDpedia for Mac and it is great.
http://www.bruji.com/dvdpedia/

With DVDpedia, you can upload your collection to the internet. The second link in my signature goes to this, but the listing I have on-line is very, very out of date. I keep it current on my computer, but uploading takes a fair amount of time and I haven't bothered with it in ages. I should get to that one of these days.

I accidentally bought a movie I already owned just one time.
It was the Joan Crawford movie "The Gorgeous Hussy" from the Warner Archive series.

WARNING: Here's where things really get ridiculous.
I'm an American living overseas and so I have DVDs & BRDs I've purchased consolidated & shipped over from the USA from time to time. I goofed because the Joan Crawford movie was not actually "in my possession" at the time, even though I'd ordered it and technically owned it.

Last edited by hotandserious; 07-29-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries