Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Police Story Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£59.99
13 hrs ago
Drive 4K (Blu-ray)
£21.99
10 hrs ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.49

Turning Red 4K (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Death on the Nile 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99

Supergirl: The Sixth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
£15.99
7 hrs ago
The Good Place: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
£26.99

Who Framed Roger Rabbit 4K (Blu-ray)
£11.99

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Blu-ray)
£6.99

Eternals (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Waterloo (Blu-ray)
£12.49

Scream (Blu-ray)
£9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Banned

Apr 2012
Hawaii
United Kingdom The Complete Dr Phibes - 9 June 2014 from Arrow

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/ind...product_id=349

Synopsis: “Nine killed her, nine shall die, nine eternities in doom!”

Horror legend Vincent Price (The Fall of the House of Usher, Theatre of Blood) is Dr. Phibes, former musician, current murderer. Seeking revenge from the medical staff that left his wife for dead, he sets about knocking them off one-by-one in a series of elaborate murders based upon a Ten Plagues of Egypt. Death by bats, by boils, by blood and more await the nurse and surgeons who failed to save the life of the beloved Victoria Regina Phibes!

A camp classic, The Abominable Dr. Phibes sets itself apart from the seventies horror crowd with its knowing humour and art deco sets, and also prefigures the Saw movies with its increasingly fiendish set of murder devices.

Pairing the original film with sequel Dr. Phibes Rises Again, The Complete Dr. Phibes provides viewers with a double diabolical dose of macabre thrills and black comedy.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

High Definition digital transfer
Newly created exclusive content
Deluxe Edition Collector's box featuring original artwork
100-page Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, archive content and more!
More to be announced closer to the release date

Last edited by Oscar Rothman; 02-19-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
England

That looks awesome!
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #3

Jun 2012
Flintshire

Love these films, Im in!!!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Suspended

Oct 2010
UK

Hell Im going to need two at least, one is a Xmas present, might need 3 actually!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #5

Nov 2011
Finland

I've never seen the sequel, loved the first one! A must buy!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
Banned

Dec 2013
The Forbidden Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrified-eye View Post
I've never seen the sequel, loved the first one! A must buy!
The sequel is great! The 1st movie is better though. Day 1 purchase!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
Banned

Dec 2013
The Forbidden Zone

Damn, I just noticed the sequel on BD came with this set! hahahaha
Now I am even more excited! I wondered why it said... "Complete Dr. Phibes".
The DVD of Dr. Phibes rises Again had music edited, I assume this with feature all original music.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #8

Jul 2012
Warwickshire, UK

Indeed, the first film is the better one, but I love the second one as well - particularly the way it ends, which I won't spoil for those who've never seen it!

(A slight and detail-free spoiler for the first film's ending ahead)

In my humble opinion, the relationship between the two Phibes films is akin to the relationship between Halloween and Halloween II (the originals):
[Show spoiler]you have a deliberately unresolved "where's he gone?" ending to the first film, and
while the second film is undeniably a slightly inferior offering (part-embellishment, part-retread) fans of the first film will find the style and atmosphere of the first largely intact in the second, and the two films together create a complete story with a definitive ending.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #9
Expert Member

Oct 2012
TX

I disagree about the sequel being inferior. It's my preferred of the two, and the ending is fantastic. Looking forward to getting this.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #10

Jul 2012
Warwickshire, UK

Question for any Phibes experts out there:

For many years I got by with VHS recordings of the Phibes films, taped from UK TV screenings. I then bought the US "Midnite Movies" DVDs when they were released (the intial separate releases, not the later double-bill combo-pack) and I'm convinced I had never seen the frog-mask death scene before.

It was mentioned in the film, of course, in the scene where the police list the curses so far - but I remember always wondering what form "death by frogs" might have taken (!) and simply presumed the film skipped over that one as an event that had taken place prior to the point where the film began.

So, does anyone know if the UK release of "The Abominable Dr Phibes" always omitted the frog-mask scene? Or was the version that I recorded from TV cut? I suppose it is a gruesome idea, quite early-on in the film, and there are a couple of shots of blood coming out of the mask.

On the audio commentary with director Robert Fuest (on the US Blu-ray) it's mentioned that the BBFC's records show that the film was cut on release, but their records failed to record what was cut. Robert Fuest said he couldn't remember anything about cuts, so the commentary moved on.

I just wondered whether that was the answer, i.e. whether the frog-mask scene may have been cut from the UK release, but was always present in the US release?

Last edited by ghostgate2001; 02-19-2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
Suspended

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
I disagree about the sequel being inferior. It's my preferred of the two, and the ending is fantastic. Looking forward to getting this.
I love them both! I do seem to remember the first one maybe being a bit more 'arty' and the second one being a bit more 'campy' with more laughs maybe.

Anyway - I said a while ago theyd be best off in a set together and Arrow have done just that so Im happy!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #12

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgate2001 View Post
Or was the version that I recorded from TV cut?
I'm 26 now and am guessing the first time I taped / watched this, I would have been 8 or 9, so around '96 / '97. The frog death (including the spurting blood) was intact on the version UK TV (usually ITV, I think) were showing in the 90s.

I think the Sci-Fi channel showed both films just over ten years ago and the frog scene was always there when I caught it.

EDIT: The only difference I can recall is the ending to the second film. I am almost certain the ITV print I saw had a longer version of Vincent Price singing "Over the Rainbow" when compared to the MGM DVD.

Last edited by jwf; 02-20-2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012

Definitely will be getting these, even though it's been years since I watched my MGM dvds.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #14

Feb 2014
Lincoln UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgate2001 View Post
Question for any Phibes experts out there:

For many years I got by with VHS recordings of the Phibes films, taped from UK TV screenings. I then bought the US "Midnite Movies" DVDs when they were released (the intial separate releases, not the later double-bill combo-pack) and I'm convinced I had never seen the frog-mask death scene before.

It was mentioned in the film, of course, in the scene where the police list the curses so far - but I remember always wondering what form "death by frogs" might have taken (!) and simply presumed the film skipped over that one as an event that had taken place prior to the point where the film began.

So, does anyone know if the UK release of "The Abominable Dr Phibes" always omitted the frog-mask scene? Or was the version that I recorded from TV cut? I suppose it is a gruesome idea, quite early-on in the film, and there are a couple of shots of blood coming out of the mask.

On the audio commentary with director Robert Fuest (on the US Blu-ray) it's mentioned that the BBFC's records show that the film was cut on release, but their records failed to record what was cut. Robert Fuest said he couldn't remember anything about cuts, so the commentary moved on.

I just wondered whether that was the answer, i.e. whether the frog-mask scene may have been cut from the UK release, but was always present in the US release?
The frog mask scene appears in my MGM R2 DVD.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #15

Jul 2012
Warwickshire, UK

Thanks for the replies on that frog-mask query. I may have to get my VCR out of the loft and see whether it was my old VHS copy or my memory that was an edited version...

As for Price's rendition of "Over the Rainbow" in the Phibes sequel: it was edited for a while due to rights issues, but this only affected some VHS releases. The song has apparently always been intact on TV screenings, and was restored for the MGM DVD releases - so there's no reason to suspect the forthcoming Blu-ray will be affected.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #16

Dec 2011
Default Amazing!

Can't believe these are surfacing on blu ray! Day 1 for me! Save a fortune direct from arrow...only 19.99!

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/ind...product_id=349

Old 03-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #17

Jan 2013

Wow fantastic direct order price! and shipping to the Us is only 3.50
Old 03-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenebre6 View Post
Wow fantastic direct order price! and shipping to the Us is only 3.50
Shipping is free if you spend over 50.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #19
Suspended

Oct 2010
UK

Cant remember the tagline exactly but its something like -

Dr Phibes has great vibes!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
UK

I'm a bit nervous about ordering this direct from Arrow, because a lot of people said their Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 set arrived damaged. Arrow have stated this set is a digipak, so it's probably similar to Chainsaw set. I don't want to pay the 34.99 that Amazon are asking though.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland