Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99
2 hrs ago
Glass 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95
14 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Creed II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Creed II (Blu-ray)
$25.49

BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Nun (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Banned

Apr 2014
Default Week 2 Pricing Better than Week 1 Pricing

I'm going to use The Fault in Our Stars as an example, but it's not the only one.

For Week 1, Best Buy had the Theatrical Version for $19.99. For Week 2, Best Buy lowered the price to $17.99.

For Week 1, Target had the Extended Version for $22.99. For Week 2, Target lowered the price to $19.99.

Furthermore, Fox added a $5 coupon on coupons.com on either the Sunday or Monday of Week 2.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=248860

I know why retailers do this. They sell many copies of movies during Week 1 and are gambling on people not asking for Price Adjustments.

However, specifically with TFIOS, the difference is as much as $8 depending on which version you buy. This results in making two trips: one trip during Week 1 to get the version that you want (exclusives or perhaps a mint slipcover) and then another trip during Week 2 to get a refund.

(Plus, it's probably safer to keep the movie new/sealed just in case Customer Service decides to be finicky.)

Last edited by jscoggins; 09-24-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

While it's true that movies have returned to the marketing practices of yester-decade - charging more for early buyers, forcing the budget conscious to wait until they think they've completely exhausted the market of impatient and deep pocket buyers - I think The Fault in Our Stars example is more exception than the rule. Most titles go back up a bit the following week, specifically to feign the illusion that week one prices are still the deal we've come to expect. Normally, they don't start more aggressive pricing for at least a few weeks later, sometimes a few months or even a year. But it really depends on the title, the store, the releasing studio, and the time of year.

Unfortunately, predicting movie prices isn't nearly as cut and dry as it used to be. Sometimes you wait forever for the price to drop, jump on it when it does, and a week later it's going for half what you paid just the week before. With other titles you wait for a price drop, pass when it does, thinking it'll go even lower, forget about it, and the next thing you know it's OOP and selling for double SRP.

Last edited by MoulinBlu; 09-24-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
Banned

Apr 2014

That was my train of thought for getting TFIOS Extended during Week 1. I would not be surprised if it went OOP.

I got back $8, though.

Last edited by jscoggins; 09-24-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2012

I think it is just to get you back in the store.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:38 AM   #5
Banned

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu2u View Post
I think it is just to get you back in the store.
Maybe, but Target didn't even advertise the lower price.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
Maybe, but Target didn't even advertise the lower price.
If it wasn't actually advertised, you have to wonder if their motivation might have been the title under-performing the first week.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Banned

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoulinBlu View Post
If it wasn't actually advertised, you have to wonder if their motivation might have been the title under-performing the first week.

This sold better than Godzilla at my local Target and Best Buy stores. Other people are also reporting shortage of inventory.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

I seriously doubt it actually sold better. Nothing sells better than new release blockbuster-type films, like Godzilla. Even critically panned blockbusters rake in the biggest numbers, week after week. More likely, they didn't carry nearly as many copies of Fault.... so their stock appeared to thin out faster because it was much thinner to begin with. Where, with Godzilla they likely ordered enough copies to carry them through the holidays. Bear in mind that sells in different parts of the country can vary dramatically for titles like this. Some places likely didn't even carry it, where any store that sells movies definitely ordered Godzilla.

As for the possibility of the price dropping the following week being predicated by lower than expected sells, Fox could have been the instigator. That's actually the more likely case if the price dropped across multiple stores. They may have not been satisfied with pre-sell numbers or maybe they're just trying to clear it out (expedite our buying) more quickly, figuring the title will get lost in the holiday rush of Godzilla, Transformers, X-Men, Hobbit DC, Maleficent, etc, all of which are likely to be the most advertised, biggest sellers this season and thus stores may want to devote more space to those titles to accomodate Christmas shoppers.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
Banned

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoulinBlu View Post
I seriously doubt it actually sold better. Nothing sells better than new release blockbuster-type films, like Godzilla. Even critically panned blockbusters rake in the biggest numbers, week after week. More likely, they didn't carry nearly as many copies of Fault.... so their stock appeared to thin out faster because it was much thinner to begin with. Where, with Godzilla they likely ordered enough copies to carry them through the holidays. Bear in mind that sells in different parts of the country can vary dramatically for titles like this. Some places likely didn't even carry it, where any store that sells movies definitely ordered Godzilla.

As for the possibility of the price dropping the following week being predicated by lower than expected sells, Fox could have been the instigator. That's actually the more likely case if the price dropped across multiple stores. They may have not been satisfied with pre-sell numbers or maybe they're just trying to clear it out (expedite our buying) more quickly, figuring the title will get lost in the holiday rush of Godzilla, Transformers, X-Men, Hobbit DC, Maleficent, etc, all of which are likely to be the most advertised, biggest sellers this season and thus stores may want to devote more space to those titles to accomodate Christmas shoppers.
MoulinBlu, Target used a mobile pillar near the front registers to merchandise TFIOS. They do this with movies that are expected to sell well with Target's customer base. My store definitely had more copies of TFIOS than Godzilla.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:11 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

^Definitely nowhere near that kind of love for TFioS in our area, at least not in any of the stores I've been to since this came out, namely two Walmarts, a Best Buy, Target, and a Sam's Club. I was actually shocked to see that our Walmart even stocked Godzilla's 3D edition, a practice they virtually abandoned a year ago.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:13 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15072
Old 10-09-2014, 03:16 AM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2011
5593 ft above sea level

There is no way TFIOS sold better than Godzilla. Just because there's an arbitrary stand somewhere in Texas that had more TFIOS copies than Godzilla doesn't mean it's a measuring stick for what's truly happening in the world. Plus more copies = did not sell well.

As far as second week pricing being lower, there are so many possible reasons that it's not even worth the conspiracy theory tone of the thread. Interesting read though...
Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #13
Banned

Apr 2014

Target, The Book of Life:

Week 1 = $19.99

Week 2 = $10

Old 03-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #14
Banned

Apr 2014

Target, The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies:

Week 1 = $24.99

Week 2 = $13.00

And yes, the lower price is not advertised in the weekly ad.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

I noticed this trend too so I guess consumers will just shift their buying of new releases to week 2.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

Often, they do this...to make you come back and buy more stuff.

How often do you see people return stuff(or price adjust) and not have other purchases?

I pre-ordered Hobbit. Frankly not worth the drive to Target(25 miles) for the PA.

I just pre-ordered another today, put in toilet paper as my "make it to $25".

Sad part. Pre-order is 3 weeks out...so Target has to ship me an 8-pack of Charmin...
Old 03-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #17
Banned

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
Often, they do this...to make you come back and buy more stuff.
Possibly, but they didn't even advertise the Week 2 price drop.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:10 AM   #18
Special Member

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
Target, The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies:

Week 1 = $24.99

Week 2 = $13.00

And yes, the lower price is not advertised in the weekly ad.
I'm wondering if the $24.99 price drove people away and now they're trying to make up lost sales? It's pretty suprising to see a drop like this on such a high profile release.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:16 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

It could be this version undersold and the Lego release oversold...so, until Lego is restored....

And it makes no difference if they advertised or not. I imagine foot traffic is twice a week visits.

I go to Wal-Mart and TSC at least 5 times a month. Often cause neither is "large" so I order stuff I want...pick it up later.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:24 AM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Retailers only get marketing dollars from the studios if they maintain certain pricing levels in week one for release. The retailers don't lose anything if prices are dropped in week two.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping