Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$13.00

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Blu-ray)
AU$4.00
1 day ago
Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series (Blu-ray)
AU$32.35

Stargirl: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
AU$20.70

Star Trek: The Original Series - The Roddenberry Vault (Blu-ray)
AU$16.35

Brock: Over the Top (Blu-ray)
AU$14.00

Rise of the Legend (Blu-ray)
AU$12.50

Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray)
AU$30.19

Perry Mason: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
AU$26.63

Follow Me (Blu-ray)
AU$13.47

Mr. Robot: Season 4.0 (Blu-ray)
AU$22.56

12 Monkeys: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
AU$92.13
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 09-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #1

Jan 2011
Norway
Default Day of the Dead (1985) - Ultimate Edition

Couldn't find this mentioned anywhere on the forum, and thought it deserved its own thread - Umbrella recently announced on their Facebook page a new BD release of George A. Romero's "Day of the Dead" for 7. November 2018:

Quote:
The dead will walk among us once more amidst a sea of blood and gore when the third instalment in horror maestro George A. Romero’s Living Dead series returns better than ever as THE DAY OF THE DEAD: ULTIMATE EDITION!
This gruesome follow-up to the acclaimed DAWN OF THE DEAD follows a ragtag group of soldiers and scientists working to cure the undead plague but being deep underground and growing increasingly unstable brings the question of what their real threat is: the zombies or themselves?
Featuring a HD master never before seen in Australia, THE DAY OF THE DEAD: ULTIMATE EDITION collects a slew of bonus material onto a Blu-ray and DVD set, making it the definitive must-have release for fans of George A. Romero’s 1985 gut-ripping classic.
Link to its product page at Umbrella: https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/comin...lu-raydvd.html

Last edited by LordCrumb; 11-08-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (09-03-2018), Francisco73 (10-03-2018), StrayButler91 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2016
Melbourne, North Korea

Im hoping they rerelease the original dawn of the dead, or even night of the living dead 68
Old 09-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Power Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAObros View Post
Im hoping they rerelease the original dawn of the dead
With Rubenstein still having no takers for his 3D conversion, forget it.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

I have the UK Arrow release of Day and the US Shout Factory disc too; I love the movie but not sure I will triple dip. I'll wait for the reviews.

Last edited by Dragon Ranger; 09-03-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Banned

Jun 2016

Quote:
Im hoping they rerelease the original dawn of the dead, or even night of the living dead 68
Are you not aware of the Criterion or Happinet editions????? :/
Old 09-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2016
Melbourne, North Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clarke View Post
As a hardcore fan of the movie, i definetly know about the criterion release, but its pricey
Old 09-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #7

Dec 2012

Going by the listed extras, sounds like a mash of the Scream Factory, Anchor Bay and previous Umbrella release.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Expert Member

Jan 2014
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clarke View Post
Might be he doesn't want to shell out for pricey imports and buy local instead. Plus, the OOP Umbrella edition was the only one featuring the 80 minute Reflections on the Living Dead documentary.
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (09-03-2018), LMFAObros (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2016
Melbourne, North Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus Craven View Post
Might be he doesn't want to shell out for pricey imports and buy local instead. Plus, the OOP Umbrella edition was the only one featuring the 80 minute Reflections on the Living Dead documentary.
your right. Ive actually got that umbrella disc of NOTLD and it's not bad. sure the master isn't as good as criterions, but it was way cheaper. I've got too many local releases to grab before they go oop, before i go for any criterion/arrow releases(even though they are great)
Old 09-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteCount View Post
With Rubenstein still having no takers for his 3D conversion, forget it.
Since it would be an Australian release, it may be possible that the rights will be cheaper.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:17 PM   #11
Power Member

Jul 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonXI View Post
Since it would be an Australian release, it may be possible that the rights will be cheaper.
No, it's a question of pride. Rubenstein refuses to lease the rights to Dawn unless they take up the 3D conversion he payed for out of his own pocket, just as the 3D market died back in 2013. It was supposed to be released theatrically exactly 3 years ago, but it dropped through the cracks.

There have been no additional releases of the movie since, and it is speculated that he will never sell the rights to it, leaving it as a nest-egg for his child. The Italian 4K release got around the problem by bringing out Dario Argento's European edit entitled "Zombi", over which Rubenstein has no control.

This is the guy who screwed over his good friend and business partner Romero to the point where they never spoke up right up until he died 30 years later. Rubenstein is bloody-minded, and refuses to let things go. He refuses to budge until his $6m outlay for the 3D conversion is covered, something no company in their right mind will pay out. With non-payment comes no new copies of the theatrical release of Dawn of the Dead.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:30 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
No, it's a question of pride. Rubenstein refuses to lease the rights to Dawn unless they take up the 3D conversion he payed for out of his own pocket, just as the 3D market died back in 2013. It was supposed to be released theatrically exactly 3 years ago, but it dropped through the cracks.

There have been no additional releases of the movie since, and it is speculated that he will never sell the rights to it, leaving it as a nest-egg for his child. The Italian 4K release got around the problem by bringing out Dario Argento's European edit entitled "Zombi", over which Rubenstein has no control.

This is the guy who screwed over his good friend and business partner Romero to the point where they never spoke up right up until he died 30 years later. Rubenstein is bloody-minded, and refuses to let things go. He refuses to budge until his $6m outlay for the 3D conversion is covered, something no company in their right mind will pay out. With non-payment comes no new copies of the theatrical release of Dawn of the Dead.
Rubinstein has certainly committed cinematic crimes against humanity. I assumed that since Italy released that Dawn of the Dead 4K set recently that international rights might be more feasible. Perhaps that is a unique circumstance due to the film being an Italian co-production?
Old 09-03-2018, 11:34 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

I've been considering upgrading my Anchor Bay Blu, I might import this.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #14
Power Member

Jul 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonXI View Post
Rubinstein has certainly committed cinematic crimes against humanity. I assumed that since Italy released that Dawn of the Dead 4K set recently that international rights might be more feasible. Perhaps that is a unique circumstance due to the film being an Italian co-production?
Argento's family footed a large chunk of the budget in exchange for the European rights, this being a re-edited version which he knew would succeed in said market. The "Argento Cut" of Dawn is a different kettle of fish where the rights are concerned - you can put money on Rubenstein now refusing to let the Argento Cut be released outside of Europe to stop further dilution of potential profits.

Last edited by CompleteCount; 09-03-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
New York / Steelbook™ - 481

Quote:
As a hardcore fan of the movie, i definetly know about the criterion release, but its pricey
A first time, absolutely gorgeous restoration and many new supplements on a second disc, including a workprint. Oh, and it's Criterion. Maybe it's me, but if any release out there is worth it, it'd be this one.
Thanks given by:
buck135 (09-04-2018), El_Fez (09-28-2018), LMFAObros (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 12:10 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2016
Melbourne, North Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian9229 View Post
A first time, absolutely gorgeous restoration and many new supplements on a second disc, including a workprint. Oh, and it's Criterion. Maybe it's me, but if any release out there is worth it, it'd be this one.
i'm not saying that it's not worth it, but it's not on my list to buy for now
Old 09-04-2018, 12:38 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada

Quote:

Seems like his kid would've been better off if he'd just forgone the conversion and set aside the $6 million. However, if Rubenstein can afford to put out that kind of money on a whim, I'm sure the inheritance will be adequate with or without Dawn as a "nest egg". Certainly not worth worrying about silly rich people's problems.

All in all, a pretty sad series of events. Although I prefer Day to Dawn, it'd be great to have a nice, modern (presumably 4K?) restoration of Dawn.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #18

May 2009
New Zealand

Did a quick run through of the special features and highlighted which have been on other releases;

- AUDIO COMMENTARY WITH GEORGE A. ROMERO, TOM SAVINI, CLETUS ANDERSON AND LORI CARDILLE (Shout Factory, Umbrella)
- AUDIO COMMENTARY WITH GREG NICOTERO, HOWARD BERGER, EVERETT BURRELL AND MIKE DEAK (Arrow, Umbrella)

- WORLD’S END: THE LEGACY OF DAY OF THE DEAD (Shout Factory)
- BEHIND THE SCENES: ON-SET (Umbrella)
- BEHIND THE SCENES: TOM SAVINI (Shout Factory)

- INTERVIEW WITH GEORGE A. ROMERO AT MIFF 200

- THEATRICAL TRAILERS (Shout Factory, Arrow, Umbrella)
- TV SPOTS (Shout Factory, Arrow, Umbrella)

- GATEWAY COMMERCE CENTRE PROMO VIDEO (Shout Factory, Arrow)
- THE MANY DAYS OF THE DEAD (Arrow)
- JOE OF THE DEAD (Arrow)
- REFLECTIONS ON THE LIVING DEAD (Umbrella)
- TRAVELOGUE OF THE DEAD (Arrow)

Last edited by LordCrumb; 09-04-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Thanks given by:
badfingerboogie (09-05-2018), Behemot (09-04-2018), Shemp (09-05-2018), Socko (10-23-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England

Like to know if the original mono track with extra swearing is being included.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #20
Banned

Jun 2016

Quote:
Considering what you get, I wouldn't call it 'pricey' at all. It's by far the best presentation of the film i've seen on home video, it meets your region restrictions and has all the extras you could ever dream of. As a 'hardcore fan' of the movie, you definitely owe it to yourself to just import.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia