Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Phantasm I & II (Blu-ray)
$22.99
5 hrs ago
Mad Max: The Road Warrior 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
23 hrs ago
Black Widow 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 day ago
V for Vendetta 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
The Protege 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99
5 hrs ago
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$37.99
 
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
23 hrs ago
Beetlejuice 4K Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Steel Dawn (Blu-ray)
$12.69
20 hrs ago
The Secret of the Blue Room (Blu-ray)
$17.99
8 hrs ago
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$37.99
 
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Vlad44 Vlad44 is offline
Active Member
 
Vlad44's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
29
Thumbs up DENON AVP-A1HDCI: new king in a house

Just look at this bad boy.

$7000 preamp + same heap of money for amp.

Wow.

Just wow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
zepherman zepherman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
zepherman's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Southern New Mexico
40
Default

Yes this pre/pro and 10 channel beast of an amp are going to give the likes of Lexicon, Classe', and Krell some serious competition. The Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro has to be the most technologically advanced product on the market. It has everything one would want/need in a high end pre/pro (and then some).

I have an AVP-A1HDCI pre-ordered and hope to receive it within a week. I am chomping at the bit to get this thing! It's gonna' be freakin' awesome!!



Seth
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Rike255 Rike255 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Rike255's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
AB, Canada PSNetwork: Rike255
44
57
Default

Mmm if only they'd let me take out another mortgage on my house. I'd be all over this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Vlad44 Vlad44 is offline
Active Member
 
Vlad44's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepherman View Post
I have an AVP-A1HDCI pre-ordered and hope to receive it within a week...
You gonna' be freakin' LUCKY!! Don't forget to write a little review...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
welwynnick welwynnick is offline
Senior Member
 
Sep 2007
Default

The POA-A1HDCI power amp weighs one hundred and thirty two pounds.

Thought I'd write that long hand for effect. Even the AVP (60 lb) weighs more than my massive sony DA9000ES. Wow.

Nick
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
zepherman zepherman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
zepherman's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Southern New Mexico
40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad44 View Post
You gonna' be freakin' LUCKY!! Don't forget to write a little review...
Thanks.

Once I get it I will be sure to give some detailed impressions on both 2 channel and multichannel sound.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:22 AM   #7
Galley Galley is offline
Power Member
 
Galley's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Greenville, SC
90
566
41
4
7
Default

Xlr?

[Edit] Why are acronyms being made lower case?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
mr peepers mr peepers is offline
Senior Member
 
mr peepers's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Minnesota
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post
Xlr?

[Edit] Why are acronyms being made lower case?
xlr connections are awesome. true balanced connections, make for an ultra low noise transfer with much less interference than rca or other connections made from a preamp to power amp.

this thing looks disgustingly amazing. if i could live off riding my bike to and from work 30 miles away every day i'd sell my car for these beasts.


maybe my kidney ..... how much do those sell for on ebay now days?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:44 AM   #9
Rike255 Rike255 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Rike255's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
AB, Canada PSNetwork: Rike255
44
57
Default

Quote:
maybe my kidney ..... how much do those sell for on ebay now days?
If you sell them in two packs they do much better!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
zepherman zepherman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
zepherman's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Southern New Mexico
40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr peepers View Post
xlr connections are awesome. true balanced connections, make for an ultra low noise transfer with much less interference than rca or other connections made from a preamp to power amp.

this thing looks disgustingly amazing. if i could live off riding my bike to and from work 30 miles away every day i'd sell my car for these beasts.


maybe my kidney ..... how much do those sell for on ebay now days?
Yes if XLR connections are available, they are indeed the best connection choice.

The Denon AVP is one serious pre/pro. I know that the learning curve will be long, but once learned will be well worth it. Anything and everything I have ever wanted in a high end pre/pro is in this thing.

So now about the only thing I need to get to fully appreciate it's capabilities, it to change from my current Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray player to a Panasonic BD50. Then I will be able to let the Denon pre/pro decode the DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD tracks on my Blu-ray movies.

Another thing that I'm really looking forward to using is the Denon's Ext In. for my SACD/DVD-A player. Since this pre/pro offers A/D conversion on these inputs, I will finally be able to let the bass management be done in the pre/pro.

Here's a look under the hood of this beast.




Seth

Last edited by zepherman; 02-20-2008 at 07:31 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #11
HDJK HDJK is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
HDJK's Avatar
 
Oct 2006
Switzerland
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepherman View Post
Yes if XLR connections are available, they are indeed the best connection choice.

The Denon AVP is one serious pre/pro. I know that the learning curve will be long, but once learned will be well worth it. Anything and everything I have ever wanted in a high end pre/pro is in this thing.

So now about the only thing I need to get to fully appreciate it's capabilities, it to change from my current Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray player to a Panasonic BD50. Then I will be able to let the Denon pre/pro decode the DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD tracks on my Blu-ray movies.

Another thing that I'm really looking forward to using is the Denon's Ext In. for my SACD/DVD-A player. Since this pre/pro offers A/D conversion on these inputs, I will finally be able to let the bass management be done in the pre/pro.

Seth
I agree 100%, it's a beauty, and if I could afford it, I would buy it in a heartbeat. But may I ask why you would prefer the bass managemant to be done in the pre/pro? I'm not familar with BM from players, but the additional AD conversion seems a shame with a AVP-A1/Martin Logan setup.
If I were you, I'd consider a Denon SACD/DVDA player with Denonlink 3rd out, so you can stream DSD and Hi-Rez PCM in 5.1 (with arguably less jitter than HDMI) to your pre/pro. That way you get the BM where you want it without the additional AD conversion. Just a thought
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
zepherman zepherman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
zepherman's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Southern New Mexico
40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
I agree 100%, it's a beauty, and if I could afford it, I would buy it in a heartbeat. But may I ask why you would prefer the bass managemant to be done in the pre/pro? I'm not familar with BM from players, but the additional AD conversion seems a shame with a AVP-A1/Martin Logan setup.
If I were you, I'd consider a Denon SACD/DVDA player with Denonlink 3rd out, so you can stream DSD and Hi-Rez PCM in 5.1 (with arguably less jitter than HDMI) to your pre/pro. That way you get the BM where you want it without the additional AD conversion. Just a thought
The main reason(s), I want the Denon AVP to do the bass management is because on it's own, my SACD/DVD-A player (Yamaha DVD-S2300) does not offer on board bass management. So as you can imagine, the Yamaha on it's own has very weak bass for SACD/DVD-A. I do have and use an Outlaw ICBM-1 bass manager, and it works very well, but different discs require different bass levels. So by having the pre/pro do the bass management, I will not need to physically have to go to the unit and fiddle with any knobs and will be able to control it from the comfort of my chair.

This to me is a big plus. And I feel good knowing that the A/D section is 24-bit/192kHz and is dual differential. So I'm confident that the audio quality will be very good.

I considered getting a Denon universal player for spinning SACD/DVD-A discs, but I felt that the expenditure was not really worth it to me as I only own around 15 high rez discs. If I had a really large collection, say 60 - 70 titles, then I may have considered a Denon universal player to use DenonLink.

But the sound from the Ext In. might sound so good that I may not feel the need to invest in another player.



Seth
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #13
HDJK HDJK is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
HDJK's Avatar
 
Oct 2006
Switzerland
2
Default

That makes sense I will not even try to hide my envy for this new toy of yours
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #14
zepherman zepherman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
zepherman's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Southern New Mexico
40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
That makes sense I will not even try to hide my envy for this new toy of yours
Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #15
zepherman zepherman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
zepherman's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Southern New Mexico
40
Default

Well I finally got my Denon pre/pro and I LOVE it!!!! To say this thing is advanced is an understatement! Just about everything that one could want/need is included. And the sound quality on this thing has exceeded my expectations. TrueHD and DTS-HD MA sound phenomenal! I am hearing a quality in movie soundtracks now that I had never experienced in my setup before. The sound is very dynamic, highly detailed, and never harsh. It delivered the sonic goods just as I had hoped that it would.

The sound quality on 2 channel music, like movie soundtracks, is very impressive. 2 Channel sound easily matches that of my audiophile grade Sunfire TGIII. So far everything about this pre/pro has impressed me. The only things I have yet to try is streamed audio from my PC, and SACD/DVD-A playback.

When I picked up my AVP-A1HDCI I also picked up a Denon BT2500 transport. The BT2500 is one gorgeous unit that works as good as it looks. PQ on the BT2500 going through the AVP-A1HDCI's Realta processing is nothing short of stunning. I am extremely happy with both units.

Here's some pix of the two.











  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #16
zepherman zepherman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
zepherman's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Southern New Mexico
40
Default





  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #17
Rike255 Rike255 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Rike255's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
AB, Canada PSNetwork: Rike255
44
57
Default

Holy **** dude that's beautiful! You need to update your Martin Logan setup pics now too.
I wish I could even hear a setup like that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #18
RUR RUR is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
RUR's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit
143
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepherman View Post
The sound quality on 2 channel music, like movie soundtracks, is very impressive. 2 Channel sound easily matches that of my audiophile grade Sunfire TGIII.
Very, very nice and I'm definitely envious. I had thought you used tube gear for your 2ch audio?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:12 AM   #19
Vlad44 Vlad44 is offline
Active Member
 
Vlad44's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepherman View Post
And the sound quality on this thing has exceeded my expectations. TrueHD and DTS-HD MA sound phenomenal! I am hearing a quality in movie soundtracks now that I had never experienced in my setup before
LUCKY you! this device looks amazing!!
BTW what do you use to surge protect them?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:07 AM   #20
mr peepers mr peepers is offline
Senior Member
 
mr peepers's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Minnesota
2
Default

absolutely stunning.

what are you using for an amp then zepher?
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Looking for a Denon 4310 in Grand Rapids, MI area! Any Denon dealers around? Receivers barneyz71 10 01-03-2010 06:53 PM
Direct Mode for Denon-988....advice from any Denon owner please Receivers liquidice 8 04-02-2009 11:26 PM
Brand New House Vs. Custom Built House General Chat djluis2k6 16 02-23-2009 09:16 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:48 PM.