Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
4 hrs ago
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
6 hrs ago
The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
2 hrs ago
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Blu-ray)
$3.99
4 hrs ago
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
Morgan (Blu-ray)
$3.99
5 hrs ago
The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
2 hrs ago
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
The Peanuts Movie (Blu-ray)
$3.99
10 hrs ago
The Sandlot (Blu-ray)
$3.99
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
GhOsTGrEgG GhOsTGrEgG is offline
Member
 
GhOsTGrEgG's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
South Beach, Oregon
7
56
1
2
Send a message via Yahoo to GhOsTGrEgG
Default Polk Center Channel Recommendation?

Im torn. I love the CS1 Ive heard it and love it.. Its huge!! and not ideal for my current setup, but would be perfect for my future setup! The price is sweet right now. The CSM is similar but has lesser ( by a tiny bit) speakers but is currently cheaper and smaller (again by a tiny bit) than the CS1. I also really like the size of the RM8 or the RM202. Those would be the perfect size for my current setup but might be a little small for my future setup?

IM TORN!! take a look at my current setup and any suggestions would be helpful! Ohh take into account that I also have two Polk M20 Floor standing speakers that are brand new and are not pictured in my gallery.


Thanks in advance. Oh my receiver is running 6ohms.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
Rob J in WNY Rob J in WNY is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Rob J in WNY's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")
24
406
15
Default

If it's a toss up between the CS1 and the CSM, take the CS1. The sound will be a bit more robust, and if you should happen to go up to Polk Audio Monitor Series 30 speakers (or higher) or TSi Series speakers, it will be a better "timbre-match" to their lineup of of those lines of speakers (due to matching speaker drivers, especially the 1" silk dome tweeter). If you are not planning on upgrading from your M20 speakers, then you can consider the CSR (not the CSM), which has the matching " silk dome tweeter as your Polk M20s, and would likely make for a more seamless soundstage.

Without a doubt, the CS1 would be larger than you are used to, but if you are looking to steadily upgrade, then a good center channel is something to consider, but you also have to consider whether you can accomodate the size of whatever center channel speaker you choose.

The tiny RM8 seems to be more expensive than the CSR or CS1 (Newegg.com prices on the latter), but if a smaller size is needed due to the inability to fit a CS1 or CSR into your theater setup, then you may have to consider it. Your TV stand shelving would create an awkward fit for a CS1 or CSR, as there is no center space for them (and the spaces may not even be large enough), and they would have trouble fitting if placed on top in front of your TV.

The CS1 and CSR are 8-ohm speakers - most home audio speakers will have an 8-ohm resistance. This will not pose a problem for your Philips receiver. It's when your speaker resistance falls below your receiver's operating minimum that overheating and/or damage can arise. For example, running 4-ohm speakers with a receiver rated to operate at 6- or 8-ohms is not a good idea. There's even more theory to all of this, but suffice it to say the above covers what's most important. The CSM center channel you mentioned is a 4-ohm speaker, and should probably be avoided at this point.

For the record, your Polk Audio M20 speakers are 8-ohms as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rob J in WNY; 06-19-2009 at 05:18 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
Hammie Hammie is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Hammie's Avatar
 
May 2008
Washington, DC Metro
53
545
12
10
Default

I thought I remember reading over at the Polk Audio forums that the CSM was a 4-ohm speaker and people were having issues with the receiver over heating. The suggestion was to return it and get the CS1.

The CSR is actually the current speaker to match your M20's. You can find this for around $100.00 on Amazon (through Crutchfield).
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:16 AM   #4
Rob J in WNY Rob J in WNY is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Rob J in WNY's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")
24
406
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by louhamilton View Post
I thought I remember reading over at the Polk Audio forums that the CSM was a 4-ohm speaker and people were having issues with the receiver over heating. The suggestion was to return it and get the CS1.

The CSR is actually the current speaker to match your M20's. You can find this for around $100.00 on Amazon (through Crutchfield).
Yes, I absolutely stand corrected. The CSR is 8-ohms, and the CSM is 4-ohms. I'd avoid the CSM at this point. I edited my original post.

The CSR does have the same " silk dome tweeter as your M20s, if you are interested in getting one.

Thanks out to louhamilton for the correct information.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
GhOsTGrEgG GhOsTGrEgG is offline
Member
 
GhOsTGrEgG's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
South Beach, Oregon
7
56
1
2
Send a message via Yahoo to GhOsTGrEgG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob J in WNY View Post
Yes, I absolutely stand corrected. The CSR is 8-ohms, and the CSM is 4-ohms. I'd avoid the CSM at this point. I edited my original post.

The CSR does have the same " silk dome tweeter as your M20s, if you are interested in getting one.

Thanks out to louhamilton for the correct information.
thank you guys so much for the info! I will look into the CSR since it will match the m20's that I currently have! That sounds perfect! Thanks Very much!! Ill update when I have made my purchase!

Ok update--- The CSR is 106.99 shipped. The CS1 is 79.99 shipped. the CS1 seems like a better speaker setup but does not have the matching tweeter? The CSR seems to be the way to go because I do not plan on updating the m20s for some time...

Last edited by GhOsTGrEgG; 06-19-2009 at 07:36 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Fors* Fors* is offline
Moderator
 
Fors*'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(
145
130
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsTGrEgG View Post
thank you guys so much for the info! I will look into the CSR since it will match the m20's that I currently have! That sounds perfect! Thanks Very much!! Ill update when I have made my purchase!

Ok update--- The CSR is 106.99 shipped. The CS1 is 79.99 shipped. the CS1 seems like a better speaker setup but does not have the matching tweeter? The CSR seems to be the way to go because I do not plan on updating the m20s for some time...
Welcome to the forum GhOsT. IMO, the 1/4" difference in the size of the tweeter in the CS1 should not make a very noticable difference over the CSR. I think you should look into getting something that the TV can stand a bit higher to allow the CS1 to be placed in front center and under the TV. As you can see, the CS1 is even cheaper. Just my .02.

Good luck on whatever you decide!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
DonRSD DonRSD is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
DonRSD's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
South Florida
24
254
3
124
Default

i have some polk monitor 30s for sale with wall mounts
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=103488
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Aerodude73 Aerodude73 is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Aerodude73's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")
134
1893
1
3
9
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post
i have some polk monitor 30s for sale with wall mounts
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=103488
off topic King
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
DonRSD DonRSD is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
DonRSD's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
South Florida
24
254
3
124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodude73 View Post
off topic King


it looks like he needs rear speakers to go with his center channel....lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
GhOsTGrEgG GhOsTGrEgG is offline
Member
 
GhOsTGrEgG's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
South Beach, Oregon
7
56
1
2
Send a message via Yahoo to GhOsTGrEgG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
Welcome to the forum GhOsT. IMO, the 1/4" difference in the size of the tweeter in the CS1 should not make a very noticable difference over the CSR. I think you should look into getting something that the TV can stand a bit higher to allow the CS1 to be placed in front center and under the TV. As you can see, the CS1 is even cheaper. Just my .02.

Good luck on whatever you decide!
I decided on the CSR. Having the same tweeter and its slight size difference really made the point for me. I paid a little more but knowing that the speaker is a better match for my m20's is piece of mind that is worth the extra 20 bucks. NOW! I need a sub! Looking into the PSW10.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Fors* Fors* is offline
Moderator
 
Fors*'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(
145
130
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsTGrEgG View Post
I decided on the CSR. Having the same tweeter and its slight size difference really made the point for me. I paid a little more but knowing that the speaker is a better match for my m20's is piece of mind that is worth the extra 20 bucks. NOW! I need a sub! Looking into the PSW10.
Check out the sub threads. What is your budget anyway for a sub?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
GhOsTGrEgG GhOsTGrEgG is offline
Member
 
GhOsTGrEgG's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
South Beach, Oregon
7
56
1
2
Send a message via Yahoo to GhOsTGrEgG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
Check out the sub threads. What is your budget anyway for a sub?
Pretty much $100-150. The PSW10 seems like a perfect step for me. Im currently using a Phillips Sub that once came with a 5.1 satellite setup. Its about 5 years old. Sounds great in my bedroom but was under performing in the living room. The PSW10 will be overkill\beautiful in the bedroom and Perfect for the living room.

My bedroom theater will one day become my living room theater.. All I am waiting for is to find the perfect entertainment center for all this equipment. And my contract with Direct TV to be up so I can look into getting HD in More than just one room in the house.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
talstarone talstarone is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
talstarone's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
Clayton, North Carolina
88
363
3
54
Default

My first Center Channel Speaker I bought(In Late January 2009)when putting together another Home Theater System was the Polk CSR.
I will tell you now,it is a Very Good Performer for the Price.

I picked mine up at HH Gregg and paid a little over $70.00 for it,which included sales tax.
It does have the same silky smooth 3/4 inch silk dome tweeter but the dual 5 1/4 inch woofers use the same style woofer baskets that the CS1/CS2 and the Monitor/TSi series of speakers use to hold their bass/mid-range drivers.Its different then the basket on the M20,it looks slightly better(in my opinion)and they must(or might) be slightly better then the other woofer basket(or I dont think they would use it on the higher end speakers).

They will make a good match for the M20 speakers,and I also purchased a pair of Polk R150 bookshelf speakers(I currently use as side surrounds)They have the same 3/4 inch silk dome tweeter and a 5 1/4 inch woofer in the same baskets the CSR center speaker uses($75.00 at HH Gregg).

However the R150 has a rear Bass Port and NO built in mounting system.So if you use these you will need either speaker stands or wall mounts(if you get wall mounts make sure they keep the speaker off the wall because of the Bass Port).

On the other hand I also owned 2 pairs of the Polk M10's(available at NewEgg) and they match the M20's perfectly.Exact same tweeter and exact same dark polymer woofer with the same style woofer basket used on the M20's.
The M10's have a front firing Bass Port and a built in keyhole wall mount.So,the R150's are a little larger then the M10's but either speaker would make Excellent Surrounds(or Front Presence Speakers(if you have a Yamaha Receiver)).

In fact HH Gregg has the CSR New in the Box for $73 dollars.I dont know if you have one in your area you can pick it up at,or how much shipping may cost.But its a Good Chance it maybe cheaper from HH Gregg the any place else right now.
Heres a link:
http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail...BrandStore=All
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #14
GhOsTGrEgG GhOsTGrEgG is offline
Member
 
GhOsTGrEgG's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
South Beach, Oregon
7
56
1
2
Send a message via Yahoo to GhOsTGrEgG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talstarone View Post
My first Center Channel Speaker I bought(In Late January 2009)when putting together another Home Theater System was the Polk CSR.
I will tell you now,it is a Very Good Performer for the Price.

I picked mine up at HH Gregg and paid a little over $70.00 for it,which included sales tax.
It does have the same silky smooth 3/4 inch silk dome tweeter but the dual 5 1/4 inch woofers use the same style woofer baskets that the CS1/CS2 and the Monitor/TSi series of speakers use to hold their bass/mid-range drivers.Its different then the basket on the M20,it looks slightly better(in my opinion)and they must(or might) be slightly better then the other woofer basket(or I dont think they would use it on the higher end speakers).

They will make a good match for the M20 speakers,and I also purchased a pair of Polk R150 bookshelf speakers(I currently use as side surrounds)They have the same 3/4 inch silk dome tweeter and a 5 1/4 inch woofer in the same baskets the CSR center speaker uses($75.00 at HH Gregg).

However the R150 has a rear Bass Port and NO built in mounting system.So if you use these you will need either speaker stands or wall mounts(if you get wall mounts make sure they keep the speaker off the wall because of the Bass Port).

On the other hand I also owned 2 pairs of the Polk M10's(available at NewEgg) and they match the M20's perfectly.Exact same tweeter and exact same dark polymer woofer with the same style woofer basket used on the M20's.
The M10's have a front firing Bass Port and a built in keyhole wall mount.So,the R150's are a little larger then the M10's but either speaker would make Excellent Surrounds(or Front Presence Speakers(if you have a Yamaha Receiver)).

In fact HH Gregg has the CSR New in the Box for $73 dollars.I dont know if you have one in your area you can pick it up at,or how much shipping may cost.But its a Good Chance it maybe cheaper from HH Gregg the any place else right now.
Heres a link:
http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail...BrandStore=All

Awesome review! Thanks. I had already ordered my CSR this morning from crutchfield. It was 99.99 plus 6.99 shipping. I would have saved a little bit going with your link.. Darn .. I did a search for the lower prices of the CSR and that site never even came up. Wish I had found that.

I will definitely look into the M10's for rears. Sounds like a good way to go! Thanks everyone for all the wonderful help!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #15
DonRSD DonRSD is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
DonRSD's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
South Florida
24
254
3
124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsTGrEgG View Post
Awesome review! Thanks. I had already ordered my CSR this morning from crutchfield. It was 99.99 plus 6.99 shipping. I would have saved a little bit going with your link.. Darn .. I did a search for the lower prices of the CSR and that site never even came up. Wish I had found that.

I will definitely look into the M10's for rears. Sounds like a good way to go! Thanks everyone for all the wonderful help!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ue&Order=PRICE


by the way i have a pair of monitor 30s & steel wall mounts for sale
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #16
GhOsTGrEgG GhOsTGrEgG is offline
Member
 
GhOsTGrEgG's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
South Beach, Oregon
7
56
1
2
Send a message via Yahoo to GhOsTGrEgG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ue&Order=PRICE


by the way i have a pair of monitor 30s & steel wall mounts for sale
Your like a damn used car salesman!! LMAO. Ill take a look.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
GhOsTGrEgG GhOsTGrEgG is offline
Member
 
GhOsTGrEgG's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
South Beach, Oregon
7
56
1
2
Send a message via Yahoo to GhOsTGrEgG
Default

ITS HERE!!! My Polk CSR came yesterday and I got it all wired up and tuned to where I like it! Man it definitely large! But the sound.......amazing! Im currently breaking it in nice and slow. I had to raise my tv up a little in the bedroom in order to see the whole screen from the laying position in bed, but man the sound!! its amazing!

This is going to be a living room setup eventually but for now... I am basking in the glow that is POLK in my bedroom!!!

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
Fors* Fors* is offline
Moderator
 
Fors*'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(
145
130
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsTGrEgG View Post
ITS HERE!!! My Polk CSR came yesterday and I got it all wired up and tuned to where I like it! Man it definitely large! But the sound.......amazing! Im currently breaking it in nice and slow. I had to raise my tv up a little in the bedroom in order to see the whole screen from the laying position in bed, but man the sound!! its amazing!

This is going to be a living room setup eventually but for now... I am basking in the glow that is POLK in my bedroom!!!

Congrats! A lot of people, myself included, underestimate the size of some of these Polk centers....they will suprise you for sure!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #19
talstarone talstarone is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
talstarone's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
Clayton, North Carolina
88
363
3
54
Default

Way to go on the NEW Polk CSR Center Speaker.
I Loved that speaker and thought for its price it was one of the best performers made.

The more you listen to the CSR the more you will like it.It has Great Clarity,Good Seperation,Nice Bass,And Produces some Amazing Vocals and Sound Effects.

A Very Good Investment in my book.(And this comes from a Previous Owner of a Polk CSR)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #20
jeffalindsay jeffalindsay is offline
Active Member
 
jeffalindsay's Avatar
 
Jun 2009
Default Question regarding mounting a CS1 to the wall?

I have a 46" LCD mounted to the wall above my Fire place....I dont have anywhere to put my center below the tv. I would like to mount it to the wall using OmniMount Medium Stainless Steel Universal Speaker Ceiling Mount Kit, Black (Each) 20lb. Has anyone attempted anything like this? The MDF cabinet has me a little worried. The link has a picture.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10652344

Thanks for the help
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Center channel recommendation Speakers g859 7 09-28-2009 09:52 PM
Polk CS1 vs. CSM center channel speakers. Speakers Bassman 0 12-12-2008 11:54 PM
Polk Audio Center channel help Speakers mtmtri 10 11-18-2008 08:52 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:53 PM.