Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Northman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Last Duel 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
15 hrs ago
The Last Kingdom: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99

Event Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
15 hrs ago
The French Dispatch (Blu-ray)
$8.99
23 hrs ago
The King's Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
20 hrs ago
Black Widow 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
TRON (Blu-ray)
$5.99
20 hrs ago
Nightmare Alley 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Father Stu (Blu-ray)
$19.96

National Treasure (Blu-ray)
$5.99
20 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-25-2019, 01:11 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)
Default THE HANDMAIDíS TALE: Season Two Defective Disc Replacement Program

Posting a new thread for this with a more accurate title. If you have a defective Episode 13 on Disc Four with incorrect black levels (as evidenced by the bottom photo below), please contact Fox Customer Service for a corrected replacement (as evidenced by the top photo below). You can use either method below:

Phone: 888-223-4369
Email: foxconnect@orderassistance.com

They will need proof of purchase (a receipt) but you will not be required to send any of your original packaging or discs back to them. Thanks to member James Luckard for his diligence in successfully convincing Fox that a replacement program was necessary. More details throughout the Season One thread here: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...=301030&page=4

Thanks given by:
James Luckard (05-25-2019), jedilips (05-30-2019), ol_Dut (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #2

Oct 2014
the Netherlands

For people who have bought the German release, you can contact kundenservice@fox.com.
I have had contact with them and a replacement disc will be sent to me when they receive them.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #3

Aug 2009

for those who bought their copy second hand (as I did - used from an Amazon seller before I realized there was an issue), Fox won't replace those! They claim "we are not able to replace or exchange third-party purchases" and they wanted me to go back to the seller (who I bought from 4 months ago) for a refund. good times.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #4

Nov 2012
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilips View Post
for those who bought their copy second hand (as I did - used from an Amazon seller before I realized there was an issue), Fox won't replace those! They claim "we are not able to replace or exchange third-party purchases" and they wanted me to go back to the seller (who I bought from 4 months ago) for a refund. good times.
Yes, I got the same reply today. Thatís pretty disappointing as they are just sitting on those discs.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilips View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkeebutt View Post
Yes, I got the same reply today. Thatís pretty disappointing as they are just sitting on those discs.
To be fair, though, without an original proof of valid purchase, how are they to know that they wouldn't be sending out who knows how many free replacement discs to shady people who don't actually even own this title?
Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #6

Nov 2012
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
To be fair, though, without an original proof of valid purchase, how are they to know that they wouldn't be sending out who knows how many free replacement discs to shady people who don't actually even own this title?
Itís one disc, not the whole season.
So I replied to their email to ask how to tell which are the corrected retail copies if I wanted to make a ďvalidĒ purchase of a new copy. They were not helpful. The response:
We suggest you to contact us in the future if you have any concerns about the product prior to opening. Additionally, we suggest your purchase products from authorized retail stores.
The funny thing is I think ďauthorized retail storesĒ are still selling bad copies. So I would have to try this again potentially only with an approved receipt.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkeebutt View Post
Itís one disc, not the whole season.
So? It's still potentially something for nothing.

Quote:
So I replied to their email to ask how to tell which are the corrected retail copies if I wanted to make a ďvalidĒ purchase of a new copy. They were not helpful.
The defective units have a UPC ending in 195480, while the replacement units end in 195481. That said, to your point, I've never seen the replacement units in stock at any retailer, so you might be in for a wait.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #8

Nov 2012
Dallas

Quote:

The defective units have a UPC ending in 195480, while the replacement units end in 195481. That said, to your point, I've never seen the replacement units in stock at any retailer, so you might be in for a wait.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2013
Missouri

Has the defective discs been changed out at amazon if i order season 2? Anyone know?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

For those who bought from third party, just order the product from amazon, get the receipt, send it to Fox, and then cancel your order.

What's fair is fair.
Thanks given by:
bigjim25 (11-24-2019), jedilips (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PissedOffPeoN View Post
Has the defective discs been changed out at amazon if i order season 2? Anyone know?
I bought it from them on May 10th and they were still shipping the old set at that time.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #12

May 2017

Hey all, I found my way here after googling about the excessive crushed blacks in dark scenes for Season 2 (especially episode 13). I also noticed severe crushed blacks during the solo birthing scenes in the episode "Holly". Anyway, I purchased the set brand new from a Bullmoose retail location so I could watch it before season 3 started. I bought it on June 2nd and it has the "80" barcode.

So today I called the number provided here (888-223-4369) to request a replacement, and the rep I spoke with said she has not heard of this issue and will "look in to it". They then sent me an email requesting a copy of my receipt. I sent them the receipt, and they replied back with the following:

Thank you for your email. For fastest resolution, we recommend trying to exchange the product at the point of purchase. If you are unable to exchange the item with the retailer, the product can be returned to us for exchange.

The product must meet the guidelines of our replacement policy. All discs and packaging will need to be returned and the exchange process will typically take 3 to 4 weeks.

If you would like to proceed with our replacement process, an RMA will be created and emailed.

We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to your response.

Thank you,
Fox Customer Care

Does this reply seem appropriate to you, considering this is supposedly a KNOWN defect and that there is already a history of discs being replaced to consumers? Obviously exchanging it is not the best course of action, considering retail outlets still carry the "80" defective pressing. Now they want me to RMA the entire set? Any advice on the best way to proceed would be grateful, thank you
Old 06-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywinter View Post
Any advice on the best way to proceed would be grateful, thank you
I would try emailing foxconnect@orderassistance.com. I was not required to send anything to them at all except for my receipt. You shouldn't have to jump through those hoops.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #14

May 2017

Quote:
I would try emailing foxconnect@orderassistance.com. I was not required to send anything to them at all except for my receipt. You shouldn't have to jump through those hoops.
That's what I thought too, considering some of the testimonials here of a smooth transaction... but the problem is that foxconnect@orderassistance.com is exactly the address that emailed me requesting a receipt, and then suggesting to exchange or RMA. So I'm already communicating with that department. I suppose I can do the RMA, but I will need to confirm that they are sending the correct replacement. I am concerned that if I simply just RMA the whole set, they will just send the same faulty set back. Clearly this "disc replacement program" for HMTs2 isn't entirely reliable after all! I was expecting to call in and have them acknowledge the issue right away and take care of it, but instead they are acting as if they have *never*heard of this issue before
Old 06-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2009

Quote:
That's what I thought too, considering some of the testimonials here of a smooth transaction... but the problem is that foxconnect@orderassistance.com is exactly the address that emailed me requesting a receipt, and then suggesting to exchange or RMA. So I'm already communicating with that department. I suppose I can do the RMA, but I will need to confirm that they are sending the correct replacement. I am concerned that if I simply just RMA the whole set, they will just send the same faulty set back. Clearly this "disc replacement program" for HMTs2 isn't entirely reliable after all! I was expecting to call in and have them acknowledge the issue right away and take care of it, but instead they are acting as if they have *never*heard of this issue before
Maybe calling back and trying a different agent?
Old 06-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Hey all, I found my way here after googling about the excessive crushed blacks in dark scenes for Season 2 (especially episode 13). I also noticed severe crushed blacks during the solo birthing scenes in the episode "Holly".
Ep 11 is correctly mastered, nothing to worry about. The crushed blacks in that particular scene are not a defect of the Blu-Ray, they're an artistic choice of the filmmakers', the scene is set in an abandoned house with no power and is lit only by a fire. I suspect the scene is also graded to be exceedingly dark because Elisabeth Moss is entirely nude in it. That scene on the BD matches the Hulu streaming broadcast version exactly, I just checked. The entire BD version of Ep 13 looked nothing like the Hulu version, that was how I knew the BD was incorrectly mastered. It was the only episode that did not match the broadcast versions, and it has been fixed.

Last edited by James Luckard; 06-06-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #17

May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Ep 11 is correctly mastered, nothing to worry about. The crushed blacks in that particular scene are not a defect of the Blu-Ray, they're an artistic choice of the filmmakers', the scene is set in an abandoned house with no power and is lit only by a fire. I suspect the scene is also graded to be exceedingly dark because Elisabeth Moss is entirely nude in it. That scene on the BD matches the Hulu streaming broadcast version exactly, I just checked. The entire BD version of Ep 13 looked nothing like the Hulu version, that was how I knew the BD was incorrectly mastered. It was the only episode that did not match the broadcast versions, and it has been fixed.
OK, thanks. I suspect it could also be my TV, as I currently have an LG OLED (B8), which are apparently known to display blacks as "crushed" on occasion from what I've read. But those dark scenes in episode 11 were atrocious. I'll take a photo later, but there was lots of color banding and black artifacts disrupting the picture. Again, could be my TV, but I hardly noticed it in any other scenes throughout the whole series. The only other time I really noticed it was the tunnel scene in s1, where June escapes from the hospital. That was very crushed as well and looked awful on my TV.

It might also be because I'm using a Sony PS4 as my bluray player - perhaps I need to upgrade to something better. I've been watching season 3 lately with the Hulu app on my PS4 (I previously did not have a hulu sub, which is why I bought the BR for s1/2), and I have been astounded at how much better it looks compared to the previous blu-ray. Same device, same video modes, different formats (hulu stream vs. bluray discs). The picture seems far more vibrant and smooth compared to the jittery and dark bluray. Also, for the first time ever I realized that the Marthas are wearing GREEN! Throughout s1 and s2 I thought it was Grey due to the picture being so dark in general.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Also, for the first time ever I realized that the Marthas are wearing GREEN! Throughout s1 and s2 I thought it was Grey due to the picture being so dark in general.
Yep, the whole show is generally dark, a choice I love, but which is very bold. I've never seen anything like it on TV except for House of Cards, which makes sense, as the lighting scheme looks very much like a Fincher movie - everything is dimly lit and the range from highlights to darkest is very limited.

I keep my TV set for movies, but I wonder how the show looks on most TVs, which have the contrast WAY, WAY up to enjoy the punchy colors in sporting events, etc. I'll bet lots of Handmaid's looks pitch black to many people because of how they have their TVs adjusted.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #19

Sep 2014

I just bought it from Amazon EEUU today, new, but I live outside the US, so it’s gonna be an international shipping, do you think Fox will still replace a defective disc and send it outside US?
Old 06-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
United States

Quote:
I just received a copy with the corrected discs (sticker on the outside of the shrink wrap over the original UPC with the "81" code at the end) from Amazon.

Given all the different warehouses they could be pulling from, it's still a gamble, but corrected copies are now out there.
Thanks given by:
Filmmaker (06-08-2019), James Luckard (06-08-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America