Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Blu-ray)
$5.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Crawl (Blu-ray)
$10.00

The Great Mouse Detective (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Midway (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Destry Rides Again (Blu-ray)
$29.39
24 min ago
Seven Worlds, One Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.04
14 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 06-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ
Default Eliminating LCD Clouding - Recommendations?

So recently I noticed on my LCD what apparently is referred to as clouding or backlight bleeding - on the left corners, top and bottom, the shade of black is noticeably lighter than the rest of the screen. Is there any way to counter this effect?

Some on AVS forum recommend gentle wiping of the screen with the soft lens cloth, some say leave the TV on and let it warm-up and it will fade away. I have already informed Philips and they are sending a technician to my house on Tuesday.

But I wanted to see if anyone else has had problems of this kind and has dealt with them.

It isn't entirely distracting - but once you notice it you always notice it. Having that ol' Ambilight feature on helps distract from it, but that's just skirting the issue.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
Expert Member

May 2008
the sub-matrix

how long have you had the TV before this happened?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:23 AM   #3

Mar 2008

You'll never get rid of it, unless you can get a technician to do something (fat chance). Clouding at the corners, as I understand it, often comes from the LCD display being attached to the frame of the TV, and some squeezing taking place. Same thing happens if you push your finger on an LCD computer monitor. Some designs by some manufacturers are more susceptible to this issue, and it'll probably never be fixed.

I had clouding on my LG LCD TV, and I returned it. Had a hell of a time, too, as LG claimed this was 'normal.' The clouding often didn't show up until the TV had been used for an hour and warmed-up.

The 2nd LG LCD TV I got had worse clouding, and I ended up going with a PDP because of the problem. Then the PDP I got had buzzing and HDMI issues.

I will never buy another LG television. 3 strikes and you're out.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL

We'll see. Barely 6 months, Ghost.

I'll see what the chap says. It's not unbearable yet, in any case.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #5

Aug 2007
Burbank, CA
Send a message via ICQ to MacHaggis Send a message via Yahoo to MacHaggis Send a message via Skype™ to MacHaggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
We'll see. Barely 6 months, Ghost.

I'll see what the chap says. It's not unbearable yet, in any case.
I'd like to know if this situation was there from the beginning, or it's something that just started (and getting worse).

- Bogdan
Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL

It just started about 10 days ago. Ironically, it is getting better. But, thanks to excellent Philips customer service, about 3 days ago they sent a technician to my house to check my TV (like I said in my first post).

He opened it up (like watching a son go through an operation, honestly) - got the panel number to order the replacement, reassembled it, and will contact me in 2 weeks when it comes in to replace it.

I feared they would take my TV and let it sit in a warehouse for 2 weeks until they fixed it!

But I don't notice it anymore. Weird. It is still there, faintly - but it is not the concern it was before.

I know that Sony does not confirm problems with their sets as far as clouding, and Samsung has bad Customer Service as it is. Big Huzzah for Philips!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #7

Aug 2007
Send a message via ICQ to haste Send a message via AIM to haste

wow, thats awesome philips is willing to do that. glad i bought one of their tvs now!

i had clouding/flashlighting issues on the first philips 42" set i bought last year, but noticed it only 2-3 weeks after initial ownership...took it back to BB and exchanged it for another set, i still have the 2nd set...perfectly uniform backlight as far as i can tell...
Old 06-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #8

Mar 2008
Los Ageles, Ca

i have a sony bravia kdl46w3000 and i can see what you call clauding on the left side corners of my tv. I can clearly see it some times on the middle, but i have no problem with it because i knew from the biggining that lcd hd tv's would have this problem, and by the way the only way i see the clauding is when im playing video games and the screen turns completely black when loading. Well hope this helps man.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

The only concern I have is the clouding on the top right corner. But it only appears when the FBI Warning screen comes on. All else is cool.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL

Yea, the clouding is no more concern, Tense and Fanatic - it really goes away after a bit. Don't know why that one day it was so dramatic. Even if I turn up the contrast/brightness all the way up to make it stand out, but it is still barely obvious. But, better that they replace it just in case!

I did do the massage-the-screen-with-a-cloth method before hand, maybe that helped, who knows?

Oh, and Tense - it is most obvious during black loading screens, whether on Games or Blu-rays. But it is also a bit apparent on dark scenes. Back then though. Not anymore.

Last edited by JJ; 06-26-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs