Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
7 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$15.50
8 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
22 hrs ago
Some Like It Hot (Blu-ray)
$19.59

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.59

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Oculus (Blu-ray)
$6.99
1 hr ago
The Strangers: Prey at Night (Blu-ray)
$12.99
21 hrs ago
Hereditary (Blu-ray)
$15.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 08-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Developer

May 2003
Default Will your imports play in your current player?

Although a large portion of all Blu-ray movies are region free (when this is written about two-thirds of all Blu-ray movies are region free) below is a map of the official regions.

Region A: America, Japan, Korea, South East Asia
Region B: Greenland, Europa, Africa, Middle East, Australia, New Zealand
Region C: China, India, Russia, Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, Central, and South Asia.

Last edited by Iceman; 09-03-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #2

Jun 2008
Vienna
Send a message via Skype™ to Stephan.klose

Sadly all US Fox Titles (which have some really neat US exclusives) are all Region Coded. They make up a large portion of the third that's not region free.

Luckily all Companies that changed sides from HD-DVD kept their Region free ways.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

I find it irritating when people act like certain import BDs are region-free and then don't specify that the extras are all coded to that region's SD format. People should differentiate in their "... is Region-free!" tidbits

Last edited by McCrutchy; 12-03-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan.klose View Post
Sadly all US Fox Titles (which have some really neat US exclusives) are all Region Coded. They make up a large portion of the third that's not region free.
Not quite true - there are a small number of region-free Fox titles in the US such as 'Deception', Home Alone' and 'Stargate - Continuum'. See the following link:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=a
Old 03-31-2009, 05:26 PM   #5

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
Panasonic DMP-BD35 (Modified for Blu-ray Regions A, B and C and DVD Regions 1-6)
Well, I have a Panasonic DMP-BD35, too, and I'd *LOVE* to make it region free! Could you share your secrets with us? Thankee!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Never liked people telling me how and when and what I do with my legally bought material. Can you imagine buying a pair of jeans in a foreign country, getting home and not being allowed to wear them because they are 'foreign'?

I think multiregion DVD happened very quickly (matter of weeks of 1997's first few UK DVDs) but Bluray has stronger technology which has the hackers busy and of course they cracked the security very quickly (although it's ongoing due to 'upgrades' of Bluray). It's a shame because I'm very happy supporting the filmmakers and distributors so I'll have to work around their stupidity.

AnyDVD does that very easily of course. I only want region free enjoyment but if the studios can't understand that then people will want much more for less. Or nothing.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
The Dark Knight

Oct 2007
Gotham City

Quote:
I find it irritating when people act like certain import BDs are region-free and then don't specify that the extras are all coded to that region's SD format. People should differentiate in their "... is Region-free!" tidbits
My only import (JCVD) was that way... I was disappointed for sure. Oh well
Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #8

Jun 2008
Brooklyn Heights, OH PSNetwork ID: Ozzy_Rulz

Since I bought an LG BH 200 all such concerns regarding region free BDs, PAL SD extras etc. are no problem for me. Luckily my TV accepts PAL signals.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
I know extra features in SD included on a separate DVD are region coded for the DVD region, but are SD extra features included the blu-ray disc region coded? I didn't think they were, just usually in PAL SD video format, which of course is not playable on most North American BD players and TVs. I watch all my import BDs on an LG BH200 player set to BD Region B and PAL enabled, but I left the DVD region to Region 1 as I don't have import DVDs - and I've never encountered sny problems watching extra features in SD included on the blu-ray disc, such as JVCD UK.

Last edited by The Duke; 06-25-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #10

Mar 2009
San Diego
Thumbs up

Just finished watching Equilibrium (Japan)
Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 AM   #11
Power Member

Jan 2008
AUSTRALIA

I only have a few & they play just fine
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #12

Jul 2009
Australia
Send a message via Yahoo to blu-bren Send a message via Skype™ to blu-bren

one site says High crimes the ashley judd movie with morgan freeman.. is also fox and region free--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison View Post
Not quite true - there are a small number of region-free Fox titles in the US such as 'Deception', Home Alone' and 'Stargate - Continuum'. See the following link:

Old 09-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #13

Jun 2009
Sydney, Australia
Australia I'm waiting region free players

This really annoys me, I prefer buying all my bluray titles from amazon because they are so much cheaper than in Australia, also I like the us cases. I really don't like having to enter codes every time I want to change discs.

Any news on any multi region bluray players that can change regions automatically without requiring a hardwired switch or entering codes every time you want to swith them.

Some region locked titles I have so far include twighlight, boondock saints, donnie darko.

Theres a shitload more titles I have cancelled after finding out they were region locked. I've been considering selling the few Australian titles I have and buying an american ps3 or bluray player as 100% of my blu purchases are now done with amazon.com anyway.

Would I have any issues going this route besides the obvious warranty issues?

That being said, if there are automatic multi region blu players/mods just around the corner I wouldn't bother.

Last edited by FatalCure; 09-19-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #14

Nov 2009
Sweden

Iam buying mostley buying region a movies. It plays fine in my multiregion machine.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Banned

Nov 2009
California

Any import plays in my player because it will play any Blu-Ray or DVD in the world since it's region free. I love having a region free player, so much more freedom in getting movies I wanna get.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

I only have three blu imports. The Neverending Story, Paranoid Park and Son Of Rambow. The Neverending Story has no extra features so it is just fine. The other two are U.K. imports and the bonus features are in their standard PAL format which means they are not accessable on my player. But that's something I can deal with as I rarely watch extras more than a couple of times.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #17

Oct 2007
Holland

Luckily i have a region free blu ray player (Panasonic BD80). But for the 'normal' people i understand its a pain in the *ss to check everytime if its region coded
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #18

Jul 2008
Default I need help with my multi-region expectations...

Can someone direct to a good resource for setting up/tweaking my multi-region player and TV? I don't have any import Blus yet, and would like to set expectations correctly before I start buying them.

My issue is with PAL DVDs. The disc plays, but every now and again there's that annoying "stutter" where the image plays at a different speed. My TV does not accept PAL directly - if it did would I get any better playback? or is this inherent in PAL conversion?

But more importantly, does this type of effect continue in the Bluray world? It seems a waste of time and money to import if the playback is impaired this way.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #19

Nov 2009
Las Vegas , NV

I have a Samsung Bd-P3600 it is a region A player ,however it has no problems playing extras on my imports that are PAL is this something that other people have experienced or heard of? Or just a freak player?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #20
Special Member

Sep 2009
Europe
Send a message via Yahoo to NYorker

Quote:
Can this be true...?
Supposing I order a BD, say, Star Trek or whatever from the US - then the movie will play but the extras will not...!?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International