Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74
17 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Man of Steel 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Banana Splits (Blu-ray)
$17.96
2 hrs ago
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Brightburn (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Child's Play (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Stand by Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
17 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-05-2015, 12:45 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
Default Pollyanna - Disney Club Exclusive

Disney is releasing Pollyanna on Blu-ray, for the first time, exclusive to Disney Movie Club members.

If a DMC member, the information for it is:
$24.95
ID: 1246650

Previously released DMC exclusives:
Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
Apple Dumpling Gang
Herbie the Love Bug
Herbie Rides Again
Thanks given by:
Kap6289 (01-05-2015), OI8T12 (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 12:56 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

I can't get over how blah the cover art is for these Disney Movie Club releases. they just look hideous. Kind of like they don't care.
Thanks given by:
Deathbymonkeys (01-09-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 12:57 AM   #3
Banned

Apr 2014

The General posts real information, not premature speculation.
Thanks given by:
TheGeneral (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 01:17 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
The General posts real information, not premature speculation.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:18 AM   #5

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
I can't get over how blah the cover art is for these Disney Movie Club releases. they just look hideous. Kind of like they don't care.
They really don't care. And that's a shame.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
Banned

Apr 2012
Hawaii

It will be released soon as a Disney Movie Club exclusive

Old 01-05-2015, 01:28 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011

It doesn't come up in a search on the site. When will it be released? Any other new DMC exclusives out now or coming out soon?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:29 AM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldchmps View Post
It doesn't come up in a search on the site. When will it be released? Any other new DMC exclusives out now or coming out soon?
It's not released yet; it's an advance notice
the official DMC thread has them covered, as well as the first post in here has all listed to date.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 AM   #9

Jun 2012
Ohio

Dear Lord, I NEED this in my life Hopefully this means "The Parent Trap" will be out in 2016 for it's 55th anniversary! I just ordered the first four DMC exclusives on Blu-ray!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:32 AM   #10
Banned

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldchmps View Post
Go to this link and scroll to the bottom.

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/eligible-titles
Old 01-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

Is this the thread where I can preemptively rant about the shoddy job I expect Disney to do on Pollyanna BD (dropping all the extras from the 2 DVD edition, giving us only a mono soundtrack rather than a careful 5.1 remix, minimal subtitles, BD-25 low bitrate transfer, and use most of the disc space for forced ads)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnaholic89 View Post
Dear Lord, I NEED this in my life Hopefully this means "The Parent Trap" will be out in 2016 for it's 55th anniversary! I just ordered the first four DMC exclusives on Blu-ray!
When you get those 4 DMC exclusives, maybe you could post your personal reviews of the picture and audio quality (and compared to the old DVDs if you have them) in the threads for those individual titles. I'd love to read a second opinion on them.

When I was contemplating upgrading those 4 DVDs to the BDs, I searched all over and found 1 set of very minimal user reviews (and 1 or 2 on Amazon) which pretty much said that the BDs are no better than their DVD counterparts (and worse in that some of them drop the extras) apart from slightly improved picture quality... and in the case of The Love Bug user review it almost sounded like the BD picture quality came out worse than the DVD. It's hard to believe and hard to know when there are no real reviews of any of these. Too little info = no purchase for me.

The Parent Trap... another great Hayley Mills movie. Even Summer Magic, The Moonspinners, and my favorite That Darn Cat are excellent. Too bad she did so few Disney movies.

So, I'd love to have these BDs in my life, but not if they don't improve on the DVDs I already have. Well, I'll try to save a link to this thread and remember to check it again when the release date comes to see what new info appears.

Last edited by Joxx; 01-05-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012

So have any of these DMC exclusives featured lossless audio?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2013
Boston,MA.

Way to go General.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OI8T12 View Post
Way to go General.

No problem

If Oscar Rothman had his way, we'd have a speculation thread from 2012 for 6 pages around and THEN the actual relevant information posted

Kudos to Blu Titan for realizing how ridiculous that seemed & amending that.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #15
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

I'm glad this is finally getting released. I'm bummed it will be a DMC exclusive. Disney has really been sidestepping a lot of their older vault titles by doing this, but I guess they feel like there's not enough demand to warrant a wide release. Shame really, considering all the other crap out there.

As for the quality of the transfer, someone should reach out to fellow forum member FrameFecker, since he seemed to be involved in a lot of the restorations of Disney catalog titles. If I remember one of his responses, he said a lot of the Disney catalog titles were remastered 3 or 4 years ago, but Disney has chosen to sit on them.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #16
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I'm glad this is finally getting released. I'm bummed it will be a DMC exclusive. Disney has really been sidestepping a lot of their older vault titles by doing this, but I guess they feel like there's not enough demand to warrant a wide release. Shame really, considering all the other crap out there.

As for the quality of the transfer, someone should reach out to fellow forum member FrameFecker, since he seemed to be involved in a lot of the restorations of Disney catalog titles. If I remember one of his responses, he said a lot of the Disney catalog titles were remastered 3 or 4 years ago, but Disney has chosen to sit on them.
Disney Home video folk do this a lot ... sit... and do nothing... I want THAT job.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

These are beginning to ship; I just received my e-mail notification.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 AM   #18

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxx View Post
Is this the thread where I can preemptively rant about the shoddy job I expect Disney to do on Pollyanna BD (dropping all the extras from the 2 DVD edition, giving us only a mono soundtrack rather than a careful 5.1 remix, minimal subtitles, BD-25 low bitrate transfer, and use most of the disc space for forced ads)?

When you get those 4 DMC exclusives, maybe you could post your personal reviews of the picture and audio quality (and compared to the old DVDs if you have them) in the threads for those individual titles. I'd love to read a second opinion on them.

When I was contemplating upgrading those 4 DVDs to the BDs, I searched all over and found 1 set of very minimal user reviews (and 1 or 2 on Amazon) which pretty much said that the BDs are no better than their DVD counterparts (and worse in that some of them drop the extras) apart from slightly improved picture quality... and in the case of The Love Bug user review it almost sounded like the BD picture quality came out worse than the DVD. It's hard to believe and hard to know when there are no real reviews of any of these. Too little info = no purchase for me.

The Parent Trap... another great Hayley Mills movie. Even Summer Magic, The Moonspinners, and my favorite That Darn Cat are excellent. Too bad she did so few Disney movies.

So, I'd love to have these BDs in my life, but not if they don't improve on the DVDs I already have. Well, I'll try to save a link to this thread and remember to check it again when the release date comes to see what new info appears.
I have all of them so far and I would say the video quality has improved over DVD. I noticed this especially with The Love Bug because I put the DVD in immediately after to look at a few things and noticed that the blu-ray had a much crisper, clear picture quality.

I do agree that some of these have mediocre cover art. Some are the same, such as The Love Bug. I'm still not sure how I feel about the yellow borders. But the fact that they all come with slipcovers is a nice details that Disney could have left off. I am also puzzled at Pollyanna's cover since they had previously announced a wide release that was put on ice that had a totally different cover. To me it would have made sense to use that same cover art.

What really bothers me though and I have voiced this to DMC - is the absolute lack of bonus features where there used to be a bounty. I have yet to get a response back on these latest releases as to whether or not they have bonus features or not. My guess is NONE since these would have gone to pressing long before any of my complaining on The Love Bug.

They had so much material in a nice 2 disc DVD set for The Love Bug and all of that could have probably fit on the one blu-ray disc but they omitted ALL of it. They couldn't even include that wonderful commentary track with the three main cast members. What I did was buy some empty 3-disc blu-ray cases and I used one of those to put the two DVDs from The Love Bug to make my own combo pack for that. I have done the same with dual hub cases with the other releases to make my own blu-ray + DVD combo pack.

Since this is the route they have taken with these older films, it is probably the only way we will get them on a physical disc - since I think you can buy a lot of them in HD on iTunes. I spoke with WDSHE at the last D23 expo and the reps there said that the older films are hard since they don't move very many copies unless it is more well known like Mary Poppins. Yet Bedknobs managed a wide release - go figure. Or that some of them are still selling very well on DVD. They said because of that too, it would be even less likely to ever see boxed blu-ray sets - such as a Herbie set was one I brought up.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
Banned

Apr 2012
Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeneral View Post

No problem

If Oscar Rothman had his way, we'd have a speculation thread from 2012 for 6 pages around and THEN the actual relevant information posted

Kudos to Blu Titan for realizing how ridiculous that seemed & amending that.
The previous Pollyanna thread was already placed in the main section. It's now in the wish list section, after you PMed a mod and ask him to grant you your own thread. Now...how ridiculous and desperate is that
Old 01-09-2015, 01:32 AM   #20

Sep 2009

I just ordered Pollyanna, Old Yeller and both Love Bug films (I already had the previous 2). I expect Old Yeller to look the same as it does on Netflix or iTunes in HD. Disney restored pretty much their entire film catalogue a few years ago and chose to put those versions for sale digitally rather than on disc.

With Pollyanna, I'm curious to see if there are bonus features because this was an advertised general release years ago. Hopefully they already had the disc master ready then with bonus features and used that for this. Fingers crossed.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America