Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Spoiler Alert (DVD)
$17.96

Big Sky River (DVD)
$9.96
21 hrs ago
Ticket to Paradise (DVD)
$14.96
1 day ago
Till (DVD)
$17.95

Halloween Ends (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
Duck Dynasty: Complete Series (DVD)
$45.20

The John Hughes Yearbook Collection (DVD)
$7.50
11 hrs ago
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (DVD)
$19.96

House of the Dragon: Season 1 (DVD)
$26.99

Detective Knight: Rogue (DVD)
$5.00

Vesper (DVD)
$9.96

Women Talking (DVD)
$17.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 07-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama
Default U.S. Tokusatsu Releases

U.S. Tokusatsu DVD/Blu-ray/4K Releases

Guide
Separated into categories based on popular franchises (spoiler tagged for your browsing convenience).
Each category is separated by best current releases (top) and older or alternative releases (bottom).
Titles with multiple editions that contain the same content may or may not be listed.
Entries are only listed once per category (with exceptions).
Bundles that contain films grouped with non-tokusatsu films are listed at the bottom of each category (with exceptions to more obvious titles)
Please refer to individual database entries for additional information where available.
All entries are included by judgement from the author.

What's being counted as Tokusatsu?
Tokusatsu refers to special effects in Japanese film and television. In western terms it generally refers to Japanese media that uses suitmation, miniatures, and models, with common themes being kaiju and henshin heroes. Genres are usually science fiction and fantasy but also can include horror and action. This list is grouped by "traditional tokusatsu" that closer matches the western definition, and "expanded tokusatsu" which includes all types of Japanese media that heavily uses SFX, particularly after the start of the digital age.
To keep from straying too far- minor cosmetics, period costumes, and gore/blood sprays are not counted as tokusatsu. Special effects need to be a key part of the film or series.
This list also includes international adaptions of tokusatsu as well as a bonus giant monster section.

Godzilla & Toho Traditional Tokusatsu:
[Show spoiler]
Organized in release order.

Dinosaur Mania (DVD, Goodtimes) includes Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Vol. 10 (DVD, Rhino) includes Godzilla vs. Megalon (MST version)
8 Movie Monster Pack (DVD, Echo Bridge) includes Godzilla vs. Biollante
Vintage Sci-fi 6 Movie Collection (DVD, Mill Creek) includes The H-Man and Battle in Outer Space
Pop Culture Bento Box (DVD, Mill Creek) includes Mothra and Battle in Outer Space

Gamera & Daiei/Kadokawa Traditional Tokusatsu:
[Show spoiler]
Organized by franchise.

12 Creature Features (DVD, Mill Creek) includes Gammera the Invincible
Killer Creature Features (DVD, Mill Creek) includes Attack of the Monsters, Destroy All Planets and Gammera the Invincible
Sci-Fi Classics: 50 Movies (DVD, Mill Creek) includes Attack of the Monsters, Destroy All Planets, Gammera the Invincible, Warning from Space
The Beast Collection (DVD, Retromedia) includes Majin, Monster of Terror and Return of the Giant Majin

Ultraman:
[Show spoiler]

Other Tsuburaya Tokusatsu:
[Show spoiler]

Sci-Fi Invasion: 50 Movies (DVD, Mill Creek) includes Fugitive Alien,
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Vol. XXII (DVD, Shout! Factory) includes Time of the Apes (MST version) and Mighty Jack (MST version)
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Vol. XXIV (DVD, Shout! Factory) includes Fugitive Alien (MST version) and Star Force: Fugitive Alien II (MST version)
Rifftrax Toxic Box includes Attack of the Super Monsters

Super Sentai:
[Show spoiler]

Power Rangers:
[Show spoiler]

Kamen Rider:
[Show spoiler]

Metal Heroes & Related Saban Brands:
[Show spoiler]

Kikaider:
[Show spoiler]

The Keita Amemiya Collection (DVD, Media Blasters) includes Hakaider

Other Toei Traditional Tokusatsu:
[Show spoiler]
Organized alphabetically.

Mad Scientist Theater: 50 Movies (DVD, Mill Creek) includes The Revenge of Dr. X
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Vol. XXXVII (DVD, Shout! Factory) includes Invasion of the Neptune Men (MST version)
Gamera: Return of the Giant Monsters (DVD, Retromedia) includes The Magic Serpent
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Vol. 7 (DVD, Rhino) includes Prince of Space (MST version)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Vol. VII (DVD, Shout! Factory) includes Prince of Space (MST version)

Senkosha Productions:
[Show spoiler]

Garo:
[Show spoiler]

Miscellaneous Traditional Tokusatsu:
[Show spoiler]
Organized in alphabetical order.

Ninja Collection Vol. One (DVD, Videoasia) includes Cyber Ninja
When Horror Came to Shochiku (DVD, Eclipse/Crierion) includes The X From Outer Space
Killer Creature Features (DVD, Mill Creek) includes Monster from a Prehistoric Planet
Elvira's Movie Macabre: Giant Monsters (DVD, Entertainment One) includes Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (Elvira version)
Cosmic Superheroes (DVD, Something Weird Video) includes Attack from Space, Evil Brain from Outer Space, Invaders from Space, Atomic Rulers of the World
Nightmare Worlds 50 Movie Pack (DVD, Mill Creek) includes Attack from Space, Evil Brain from Outer Space, Atomic Rulers of the World
Sci-Fi Invasion: 50 Movies (DVD, Mill Creek) includes Evil Brain from Outer Space and Invaders from Space
The Keita Amemiya Collection (DVD, Media Blasters) includes Moon Over Tao, Zeiram 2

Miscellaneous Expanded Tokusatsu:
[Show spoiler]
Organized alphabetically.

When Horror Came to Shochiku (DVD, Eclipse/Crierion) includes Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell, The Living Skeleton, Genocide
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray, Arrow) includes Tetsuo: The Iron Man and Tetsuo II: Body Hammer
Kill Chiba Collection (DVD, Crash Cinema) includes The Bullet Train
The Sonny Chiba Collection (Blu-ray, Shout! Factory) includes Samurai Reincarnation
The Sonny Chiba Collection (DVD, BCI) includes The Bullet Train
The Sonny Chiba Collection (DVD, Mill Creek) includes Ninja Wars
Sonny Chiba Samurai Collection (DVD, Allegro) includes Nija Wars, Samurai Reincarnation
Horror Double Feature (DVD, Magnolia) includes Pulse

Anime Inspired by Tokusatsu:
[Show spoiler]
Includes anime that adapt, continue, or heavily homage tokusatsu productions. Organized by franchise.

Other Asian Giant Monsters:
[Show spoiler]
Giant monsters films from Korea, Hong Kong, and more. Organized by country and release order.

Shawscope Vol. One (Blu-ray, Arrow) includes The Mighty Peking Man
Midnite Movies Double Feature (DVD, MGM) includes Yongary
Midnite Movies Vol. 1: Monsters & Creatures (DVD, MGM) includes Yongary
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 (Blu-ray, DVD, Shout! Factory) includes Yongary (MST version)
Beasts from the Dark Side (DVD, Mill Creek) includes Dragon Wars: D-War
Monsters Attack: 25 Movie Collection (DVD, Mill Creek) includes Dragon Wars: D-War
Quentin Tarantino's Rolling Thunder Pictures Triple Feature (DVD, Lionsgate) includes The Mighty Peking Man

Other International Productions Inspired by Tokusatsu:
[Show spoiler]
Media from Ameirca, Europe, and other countries that adapt, remake, or are heavily influenced by tokusatsu productions. Organized by franchise.

Defenders of the Galaxy Collection: 5 Movies (DVD, Echo Bridge) includes Planet Patrol
Definitive DVD Collection (DVD, Sony) includes Godzilla (1998)
Thrulls & Chills Collection (DVD, Sony) includes Godzilla (1998)
*Pop Culture Bento Box (DVD, Mill Creek) includes select episodes from Godzilla: The Series
Monster Mayhem 5-Film Collection (DVD, Warner) includes Godzilla (2014) and Pacific Rim
10-Film Action Collection (DVD, Warner) includes Godzilla (2014) and Pacific Rim
10-Film Sci-fi Collection (DVD, Universal) includes Pacific Rim Uprising
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 12 (Blu-ray, DVD, Shout! Factory) includes Atlantic Rim (MST version)
4-Film Favorites Colossal Monster Collection (DVD, Warner) includes Cloverfield
6-Movie Mutant Creatures (DVD, Echo Bridge) includes Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus and Monster (2008)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: 25th Anniversary Edition (DVD, Shout! Factory) includes Gorgo (MST version)
Movies 4 You: More Sci-Fi Classics (DVD, Shout! Factory) includes Reptilicus
5-Film Collection: Dwayne Johnson (Blu-ray, Warner) includes Rampage
Sci-Fi Invasion: 50 Movies (DVD, Mill Creek) includes The Manster

Kong & Other International Giant Monsters:
[Show spoiler]
Other giant monster productions that influenced tokusatsu or use similar themes. Dinosaurs, dragons, and realistically sized animals are not counted. See this thread for dinosaur movies. Organized by franchise and release order.

Sci-Fi from the Vault (BD, Mill Creek) includes The 30 Foot Bride of Candy Mountain, 20 Million Miles to Earth, It Came from Beneath the Sea

Last updated 1/31/23.

Last edited by starsteam; 01-31-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Thanks given by:
BuraddoRun (07-30-2022), Casual_G4m3r (12-03-2021), Colorado Rockie (07-31-2021), dr727 (07-04-2021), DukeTogo84 (07-01-2021), El Sleezo (07-02-2021), gigan72 (07-06-2021), gloomranger (07-12-2021), gudemameshiba (07-02-2021), Jessie (01-25-2023), John Pannozzi (07-27-2021), LarryDavis (07-03-2021), ltb2.0 (07-02-2021), Matt E. (07-03-2021), mcorre (11-16-2021), monwobbbo (07-01-2021), PegasusKenshiro (07-12-2021), Pulp Hero (07-02-2021), spybrarian (05-19-2022), UniSol GR77 (07-31-2021), WaverBoy (08-22-2022), Zillamon51 (11-19-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama

reserved
Old 07-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama

A few extra words. This was a huge project that took me a few weeks to put together and many sections of hours to research, though it's a lifetime of passion. It started off as me just wanting to compile the few toku shows we did have in the US, and it eventually grew to be pretty large. The hardest part was just trying to determine what actually counted as tokusatsu as many of the films in the "expanded" section I have never heard about let alone seen. I hope this will be satisfactory and a easy go-to for when others ask what is available out there.

For anything I missed or changes I should make, I am open to suggestions.

Little areas of clarification;
-Why the DVD subforum? To be honest this was a idea I played with before and while there is a small number of titles on Blu-ray, most series are only on DVD and may ever only be on DVD. To do Blu-ray only would leave too much out. To include DVD would result in this list to be mostly DVD releases. After consideration, I decided the DVD subforum would be the best fit for now until more titles get released to the Blu-ray format.
-Traditional tokusatsu will always refer to that classic suits and monster stuff, though there are a few things in the expanded section that does fit that category. To be frank, I really wasn't sure where else to put titles like "Sexy Rangers" and "Iron Girl".
-I felt it was necessary to include Power Rangers and those other Saban brands because they are important to the exposure of tokusatsu in the US. Plus Power Rangers is just too huge to share a section.
-I gave Senkosha their own section simply because the little shared universe established in Bravestorm. Toei was also going to be mixed in with the miscellaneous section before I decided there was enough for their own section.
-For the anime section, I tried to stick only to titles that are based on a tokusatsu. There are a few stretches, like Giant Robo, which technically started as a manga first, though the anime really doesn't connect to either. But for me, the tokusatsu version of Giant Robo was the most well-known thing about brand before the anime came out, so I feel like it still influenced the anime. As opposed to something like Tetsujin 28, which the toku is obscure while the anime that succeeded it is more well known and influenced by the manga.
-For now, I don't plain to include anime that feature kaiju or henshin heroes but isn't based on a tokusatsu. That would be difficult to determine.
-International toku section was a tough one, but I felt that the films had to be undeniably influenced by tokusatsu. And that influence has to be a core part of the film, which is why something like Cloverfield Paradox isn't listed. I don't think international live action adaptions of anime should count though, even if some of them do have toku-style influences sprinkled in. My only exception to that was The Guyver because of how undeniably influenced it is.
-The addition of the extra giant monster section simply comes from knowing that people will still count King Kong and Rhedosaurus as kaiju even though they predate the genre. To be honest though, there's enough of those on Blu-ray to hold their own thread. I also tried not to stretch it too far by adding human sized or slightly larger mutated animals. I suppose there's some describable classification of what separates a giant monster movie from any creature feature.
Thanks given by:
John Pannozzi (07-27-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 03:49 AM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2019
Richmond, CA

Awesome work but I have a question. Why include all these DVD releases for films already on Blu-Ray?

I can get the 2007 Classic Media Godzilla releases since they have stuff that aren't on the Blu-Ray releases, but the rest seem superfluous.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:14 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilla3k View Post
Awesome work but I have a question. Why include all these DVD releases for films already on Blu-Ray?

I can get the 2007 Classic Media Godzilla releases since they have stuff that aren't on the Blu-Ray releases, but the rest seem superfluous.
I wanted to include everything because some people do ask if there are DVD alternatives. I made this post for the fanbase including those outside this forum. Plus I wanted to go through the history of releases, I find it pretty interesting how many times some of the movies have been released over the past few decades. The only things I purposely skipped are variant art packaging, unless I felt otherwise inclined to include it.

But I will agree including DVDs for all of the Hollywood movies to be superfluous. But I went all out anyway. Besides, I grouped everything to include the best release you could get at top.
Thanks given by:
dr727 (07-04-2021), Mikezilla3k (07-03-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #6
Expert Member

Oct 2014

Cool. I'm picky, haven't seen all that much outside Power Rangers and Godzilla. Not really into horror.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #7

Nov 2017

Thank you so much for this. Such a damn shame more haven't been released. Hopefully Toei will get their heads out of their asses and take note from Tsuburaya/Bandai.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusKenshiro View Post
Thank you so much for this. Such a damn shame more haven't been released. Hopefully Toei will get their heads out of their asses and take note from Tsuburaya/Bandai.
Shout is releasing Kamen Rider Zero-One to Blu-ray maybe next year, and MB teased a new release for Kamen Rider: The First. It isn't much compared to how much more there is but at least we're getting some movement. Hopefully they'll eventually want to push the brand more here, like what's being done with Ultraman.
Thanks given by:
Lum (07-16-2021), PegasusKenshiro (07-12-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama

July 2021 Additions
Gamera & Daiei/Kadokawa Traditional Tokusatsu:
-Yokai Monsters Collection Limited Edition Blu-ray (Arrow, 10/19/21)

Ultraman:
-Ultraman Tiga Series + Specials DVD (Mill Creek, 10/05/21)
-Ultraman Dyna Series + Specials DVD (Mill Creek, 11/02/21)
-Ultraman Gaia Series + Specials DVD (Mill Creek, 12/07/21)

Other - Monster Seafood Wars DVD (SRS, 10/05/21)

-Hiruko the Goblin Blu-ray (Mondo Macabro, October 2021)

Other Asian Giant Monsters:
-The Mighty Peking Man (as part of Shawscope Volume One Limited Edition) Blu-ray (Arrow, 12/6/21)
Other - War of the God Monsters DVD (SRS, 09/07/21)

Other International Productions Inspired by Tokusatsu:
Other - Zillafoot DVD (SRS, 10/05/21)

Kong & Other International Giant Monsters
-Village of the Giants Blu-ray (Kino, Late 2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 06:31 PM   #10
Banned

May 2009
Naples, Italy.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...ght=spectreman
Thanks given by:
starsteam (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 06:38 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniSol GR77 View Post
If it wasn't so much work I'd love to do a list of international traditional tokusatsu Blu-ray releases, considering we'll probably never get a release for Spectreman in the states.
Maybe someone more versed in foreign releases could collaborate.
Thanks given by:
UniSol GR77 (07-31-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 02:32 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama

August 2021 Additions

-Cutie Honey: The Live Blu-ray (Discotek, late 2021/early 2022)
Old 09-21-2021, 04:55 AM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2019
Richmond, CA

Just curious, why include the Ring and Grudge films in the international section? They're horror, not Tokustatsu.

BTW, not sure if you want to include these but Magiranger and Gokaiger got DVD releases in Malaysia:
Old 09-27-2021, 10:36 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama

Quote:
Just curious, why include the Ring and Grudge films in the international section? They're horror, not Tokustatsu.

BTW, not sure if you want to include these but Magiranger and Gokaiger got DVD releases in Malaysia:
They're remakes/continuations of Japanese special effects film, so I count them by extension. Kind of the reason why those are listed last though since they don't pop in mind when you think toku.

This thread only gathers US releases. There's a number of Malaysia releases with English subs but that's a venture for another time.
Thanks given by:
Mikezilla3k (09-28-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama

October 2021 Additions:
Kamen Rider:
-Kamen Rider Zero-One Complete Series + Movie (Shout! Factory, Blu-ray) Jan 25 2022

-The Great Buddha Arrival (SRS, Blu-ray) Jan 2022
-Nezura 1964 (SRS, Blu-ray) Jan 2022

Other -The Day of Destruction (SRS, DVD) Jan 18 2022

Kong & Other International Giant Monsters:
-Ape vs. Monster (Greenfield Media, DVD) Dec 7 2021
Thanks given by:
Mikezilla3k (11-01-2021), sonicyogurt (11-01-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 04:07 AM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2019
Richmond, CA

There's a new DVD release of the craptacular Thunder Of Gigantic Serpent from Frolic Pictures along with Time Of The Apes:
https://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Gigantic-Serpent-Time-Apes/dp/B088GJFLVQ

Old 11-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama

Quote:
There's a new DVD release of the craptacular Thunder Of Gigantic Serpent from Frolic Pictures along with Time Of The Apes:
https://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Gigantic-Serpent-Time-Apes/dp/B088GJFLVQ

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...L._SL1500_.jpg
Review mentions bad VHS transfers and burnt on Greek subtitles. Can't ignore all of those bootlegs that pop up under the suggested products too. Not really sure if I can count it as a legitimate release (as much as I want a release of Gigantic Serpent). I'll look into it.

Edit: Yeeah I see a ton of films released by Frolic Pictures that there's no way they actually have rights or even fair-use for. I'll count crap like unauthorized Alpha Video releases but I try not to include literal bootlegs.

Last edited by starsteam; 11-19-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:31 PM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2019
Richmond, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsteam View Post
Review mentions bad VHS transfers and burnt on Greek subtitles. Can't ignore all of those bootlegs that pop up under the suggested products too. Not really sure if I can count it as a legitimate release (as much as I want a release of Gigantic Serpent). I'll look into it.

Edit: Yeeah I see a ton of films released by Frolic Pictures that there's no way they actually have rights or even fair-use for. I'll count crap like unauthorized Alpha Video releases but I try not to include literal bootlegs.
I mean, is Thunder Of Gigantic Serpent still owned by anyone? Considering the production company probably went belly-up a while ago, I'd say it can be considered a fair-use release if not public domain.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2015
Alabama

Quote:
I mean, is Thunder Of Gigantic Serpent still owned by anyone? Considering the production company probably went belly-up a while ago, I'd say it can be considered a fair-use release if not public domain.
It's hard to say for sure. If it wasn't from a company that put out cheap DVD double-features of movies that real labels have a hard time getting permission to release, I'd be more inclined to include it. Otherwise it's just pirated copies burnt onto a disc, something that's all over Amazon. I'd love to include films like Pulgasari but there's just no legitimate releases to count.
(I see Frolic also has a DVD with Pulgasari).
Old 11-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #20
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2019
Richmond, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsteam View Post
It's hard to say for sure. If it wasn't from a company that put out cheap DVD double-features of movies that real labels have a hard time getting permission to release, I'd be more inclined to include it. Otherwise it's just pirated copies burnt onto a disc, something that's all over Amazon. I'd love to include films like Pulgasari but there's just no legitimate releases to count.
(I see Frolic also has a DVD with Pulgasari).
Alright. (though considering Pulgasari's backstory and the people who forced the director to make, maybe it's a good thing that Pulgasari doesn't have any real legitamate releases...)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies