Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$9.99
40 min ago
No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Godfather Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$139.99

RoboCop 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

An American Werewolf in London 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

RoboCop 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Jungle Cruise 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.90
2 hrs ago
Ghostbusters: Afterlife 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dead Heat 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.49
7 hrs ago
No Time to Die (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007
Default Mitsubishi DLP light "bleeding"

I just got this set yesterday. Great picture so far, but one thing that's bothering me is that light seems to "bleed" into the black bars on 2:35, etc. films. For example, in The Dark Knight at the beginning where the WB logo comes on screen, the white "spotlights" don't stop at the black bars, but are visible through the bars themselves. Pretty much anything that is bright that is right up against the black bars does this. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is the third DLP I've had, but the first I've seen with this problem, including any I've ever seen on display.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Power Member

Apr 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
USA

I have a Samsung DLP but I have never even heard of anything like that. Maybe you should try and return it.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC86X View Post
I have a Samsung DLP but I have never even heard of anything like that. Maybe you should try and return it.
Heh . . . getting this one was an adventure in and of itself. Long story short, with the new models coming out sometime in the fairly near future, this was the last one left anywhere around me. I've found some information online regarding Mitsubishi DLP's and blooming problems, but those issues don't really seem to match what I'm seeing.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA

I just ordered a second set for the living room to replace our 10 year old Hitachi. Went for the 65" DLP this time
Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

jwb, do you have anything like what I'm describing? I've been talking to another member via PM that says his does it too. The strange thing is that I can't find ANY information about it anywhere, and it seems like it would be a fairly common complaint, especially from enthusiasts, yet even AVS yields no information.

Side note . . . anybody know when the 09's come out? I may just exchange it. I really can't see how this would be considered normal operation.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Here are a couple of pics. It's hard to capture and you may have to tilt your monitor a bit, but when the black bars on either side of the tower look gray, that's it, and that's what it actually looks like. It moves depending on what is in the picture. It's pretty distracting.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:59 AM   #7
Power Member

Jan 2008

I have had a couple Samsung DLP's myself. Each different models and while there is more to the story it's just not necessary so anyhow the second DLP TV I owned had light bleed through into the upper black bar on all sources. It bothered the heck out of me and it was considered normal by the manufacturer. Perhaps you could ask to have somebody come out and see if it can be corrected, but more than likely you may just have to accept it. Some people don't seem to have this issue or maybe some people just don't notice it or are not sensitive to it. Who knows........... however, it was distracting to me.

Ultimately I moved on from DLP's for various reasons. My experience with DLP has been disappointing. I know this may not help you but you might be happier with a plasma TV as you could be sensitive to certain abnormalities. This is not a slight against RP DLP technology but the cons outweighed the pros for me. Wish that wasn't the case and I gave it many many chances to be corrected.

Maybe get a tech out there first to at least give you his diagnosis and ask him/her whether or not this is a common complaint. Which I was told was the case.

Last edited by mdabb; 04-17-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #8

Dec 2008
Northern Wisconsin

I have a Mitsu DLP,..... and I've never seen any "bleed". Are you talking about when a black or dark object is backlighted by a brighter color,... like white ,.. or the Sun ? In real life you will get some "fade" or blurring of color when this happens,... depends on the intensity of the "backlight". But,... I've never had a problem with it on the TV. Perhaps yours needs to be aligned?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Just to follow up . . . I had a Geek Squad tech come out () and, upon showing him my problem, was given a brief description of how exactly DLP works and its drawbacks . . . which I already know. He failed to comprehend that this is my third DLP, and neither of the previous models exhibited any problems even nearly similar to this one. I popped in my Dark Knight disc, since the issue is very evident during the WB logo sequence, to show him exactly what I was talking about, and was then told that "I don't know why they didn't make the Blu-ray spec to be all 16:9." At this point, it was pretty obvious what I was dealing with. The guy went outside and called Mitsubishi (allegedly) and was "told" that this was "within the manufacturer's specifications." Since he came in and basically professed what an "expert" he was on DLP technology, I have my doubts that he even talked to someone at Mitsubishi, but that's just a feeling. Anyway, here's another picture I took that demonstrates the issue much better than the previous two. My next step is calling Mitsubishi tomorrow and getting an independent service agent to come out and check it out.

No, that "haze" above the white block is not because of the camera. That's what it looks like.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #10

Feb 2010

did you ever talk to mitsubishi? i just bought a 65 inch wd65737 and after reading the thread on avsforum, i to notice this problem. it's not that bad, but i do notice it. im just wondering if i should have someone come look at it cause its only 2 weeks old, or just deal with it. So far im very happy with it, the picture is great. i upgraded from a ten year old hitachi high def dinosour. So i pretty much was just wondering if there is a solution to this cause after researching this problem, i never really found one. thanks!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #11

Jan 2008

I'm having this problem with my 3 year old 65831. There are some threads on AVS about this. The "iris" is getting some kind of gradual buildup on it which is causing the haze/overblown whatever you want to call it issue. Since it seems to be a gradual buildup it takes a while to notice. My local dealer hasn't heard of the problem but it's definitely happening with some sets. If you're adventurous enough there are instructions on those other threads on how to dismantle the tv and do the clean up yourself. I'm not that adventurous and am having my dealer pick it up and check it out.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #12

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStecke View Post
Just to follow up . . . I had a Geek Squad tech come out () and, upon showing him my problem, was given a brief description of how exactly DLP works and its drawbacks . . . which I already know. He failed to comprehend that this is my third DLP, and neither of the previous models exhibited any problems even nearly similar to this one. I popped in my Dark Knight disc, since the issue is very evident during the WB logo sequence, to show him exactly what I was talking about, and was then told that "I don't know why they didn't make the Blu-ray spec to be all 16:9." At this point, it was pretty obvious what I was dealing with. The guy went outside and called Mitsubishi (allegedly) and was "told" that this was "within the manufacturer's specifications." Since he came in and basically professed what an "expert" he was on DLP technology, I have my doubts that he even talked to someone at Mitsubishi, but that's just a feeling. Anyway, here's another picture I took that demonstrates the issue much better than the previous two. My next step is calling Mitsubishi tomorrow and getting an independent service agent to come out and check it out.

No, that "haze" above the white block is not because of the camera. That's what it looks like.
What was the resolution for you?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:31 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

I actually ended up having an independent service tech come out and check it out. We ended up swapping out the light engine with no change whatsoever. He made a couple of calls and basically came to the conclusion that, in trying to slim down the cabinet of the set it's basically causing some errant light to bounce off the mirror and through the letterbox bars. I really don't even notice it anymore, unless I think about it for some reason.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:07 AM   #14

Aug 2007
Virginia Beach

I have a Mitsubishi DLP WD-65734 and have never encountered a problem like this and it's close to three years old.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:08 AM   #15

Dec 2007
Camby, IN

I have a mits dlp and it does it too. My friend has a samsung dlp and his is perfectly fine. Mitsubishi just flat out sucks and I'm selling my 65" and getting a 65" panny v10. You can actually reduce that bleeding by adjusting your brightness and contrast and turn down your sharpness.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:10 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Yes, but then you're monkeying with the picture quality.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Z View Post
I have a Mitsubishi DLP WD-65734 and have never encountered a problem like this and it's close to three years old.
That's funny, I was reading this thread thinking the same thing, no problem like this with my 65734....altho....

My first lamp just burnt out. Worst thing about it, the new one I just ordered (under warranty) will take 7-10 business days to get here.

I also ordered a replacement lamp and housing from 'a guy' on ebay. That one should be here this week. I figured it would be fine to have an extra on hand. I had been thinking about calling the warranty people, seeing if I could get a new lamp sent, as the set was starting to give the flashing lamp light a bit more....but hadn't....now, of course, I wish I had.

No TV for a week....whatever will I do..
Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #18

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1978 View Post
I have a mits dlp and it does it too. My friend has a samsung dlp and his is perfectly fine. Mitsubishi just flat out sucks and I'm selling my 65" and getting a 65" panny v10. You can actually reduce that bleeding by adjusting your brightness and contrast and turn down your sharpness.
Quote:
Yes, but then you're monkeying with the picture quality.
I think you are over-thinking this. Adjust your settings, in particular your color settings. You might want to consider a calibration disc.

I have a 65" and there's nothing wrong with it whatsoever but it will do that if you have your levels adjusted properly, like it will with any other TV. The T2 Skynet version came with THX calibration and I discovered that by simply adjusting the color and contrast based on the calibration setup, my picture looks better then it ever did before.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

My set has been calibrated properly since the day I got it, so calibration is not the issue. It's the design of the cabinet.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #20

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
My set has been calibrated properly since the day I got it, so calibration is not the issue. It's the design of the cabinet.
I apologize, I was under the impression that the issue involved bleed through from the viewing area on to the black bars, not through the cabinet.

Also, I didn't realize it was you that posted the thing about having the tech come over.

Sorry, I shouldn't post when I'm tired.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > Rear Projection TVs